Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI desktop not starting - stuck on splash load screen

Hi all - My PowerBI Desktop does not start up - just hangs on the splash start screen with no error messages. I have noticed other posts in various communities on this issue but no clear solutions. Has been working fine so far. Just stopped working this monring. No (known) changes to my setup. Running Windows 11. I have already downloaded latest version of PowerBI desktop and reinstalled but no joy.

Hi @JohanV ,

Based on the information you provided it is not possible to determine exactly what is causing this.
Did you download the PowerBI desktop from the Microsoft app store or through the official website link?
Please download it from the official download address and run it as administrator to see if it helps.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @JohanV ,

Based on the information you provided it is not possible to determine exactly what is causing this.
Did you download the PowerBI desktop from the Microsoft app store or through the official website link?
Please download it from the official download address and run it as administrator to see if it helps.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

KSUTuba

I have the same issue.  I have completed the download from the link, and updated Power BI.  I have run it as administrator and the same results.  All I get is the power BI Slash screen.  

fmd

+1 Same issue

PBI Desktop stay in spalsh screen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact same issue as above after installing Dec 2022 update.  Uninstalled and reinstalled July 2022 update.  Same results.  Both x64.  Will not proceed past spalsh screen with either version install.  Been using PBI x64 on this machine successfully for years.  Must depend upon PBI to perform my job.

pinoaino
Advocate I

Same problem for me but with the on-premises RS version, when a lunch Power BI Desktop RS I get a freezed splash screen.
Sometime, I don't why, after 10 minutes or more after the splash screen all goes right and the IDE start as expectd, sometime this happened after the remote desktop session is timeout.
The server machine is in an internet isolated environment as for firm enterprise policy.

The server is on a VMWare virtual machine riched via Remote Desktop:
- Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition, 64-bit Operatin System, x64-based processor
- .Net Framework 4.8.03761
- Browser: Microsoft Edge 109.0.1518.78 (64-bit), enterprise edition.
- Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime version: 109.0.1518.78
- RAM: 32 GB
- Display resolution: 1920x1080
- No display customization settings
- Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz (6 processor)
- Power BI Desktop x64 (January 2023), ver 2.112.1421.0   (official version ! 🙂 )
- Power BI Report Server Ver. 15.0.1111.115
- Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection (ver 14.3.558.0000)

I've used the suggested workaround about WebView2 problems adding a variable to local user:
WEBVIEW2_ADDITIONAL_BROWSER_ARGUMENTS --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity

but notthing to do!

-------Today 24/02/2023 news (a little workarround)-------even if not acceptable i found a workaround for me...

I've disinstalled Power BI Desktop RS and reinstalled,

now I found that if I start the app from icon rather than from file PBIX to open and work on, the app start albeit slowly but surely.

By this way, I notice that in the task bar I see two task, the splash screen and the desktop IDE but rather than the fail case now in the task IDE preview seems with object completed and loaded before the official complete load of the app.

Instead, if I double click on the PBIX file icon, the IDE preview, in task bar, is stripped of objects and obviously nothing loads even after 30 minutes

Shcreenshot after double click on PIBX file:

PowerBI Desktop RS not load loop on splash screen.png

Workaround, launch Power BI Desktop RS from app icon instead:

PowerBI Desktop RS not load workarround.png

May be a policy on the server that oppose the IDE load?

strahor
Regular Visitor

I've noticed there were only 2 programs/features updated since the last time I successfully used PowerBI for desktop:
Microsoft Edge
&
Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime

My colleagues have had the same issue, and the same updates applied to the Edge components. No Windows updates on any machine. So that's where I put my attention. 

After different attempts to solve the issue, I realised that Microsoft Edge has been disabled on Windows Startup. So, I just enabled it.
And it worked for me!
Hope it will work for you too.

Best regards