Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Service and Multidimentional Sass through Gateway

I am trying to connect to sass multidimensional cubes from Power Bi Desktop using the Power BI service through an enterprise gateway. This works fine if I am inside my network, but if I try remotely I get an Unable to Connect, "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect.".  If I try to connect to a SQL table remotely through the gateway it works fine.

Any Ideas?

Adam

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adam_gallard

I cannot repro the same issue on my side. I can connect to SSAS cube both from Power BI Desktop (Get Data) or on-premises data gateway (PBI Service - Manage gateways - add data source) remotely.

If you are talking about connecting to remote SSAS using PBI Desktop, you can take a look at this thread to see if it helps.

If issue still persists, could you please provide some more detailed info about it? Some screenshots will be preferred.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

adam_gallard
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply but I don't think I explained my problem correctly, my issue is that I have already created a dataset on the gateway and I am trying to use the 'Power BI service live connection' from PowerBI Desktop to connect to that dataset.  I can connect to the dataset using the 'Power BI service live connection' if I am inside the same network as the SASS MD server, but I get the Unable to Connect, "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect." error message if I try from outside the network.  here is a link to Microsoft documentation so that we are talking about the same feature: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets/

adam_gallard
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft

is there any update on this issue?

Adam

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adam_gallard

I can repro the same issue on my side. I've sent mail to product team to see if it is supported.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adam_gallard

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 47601516
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adam_gallard

Could you please have a try outside the network to see if you can connect to the cube using Get Data->Analysis Services option?

Best Regards,
Herbert

adam_gallard
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Thanks for the update, I cannot connect to the server using the Get Data>Analysis Services option, get the 'we could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect'. I know that the server is not available externally, that's what I thought the Power BI service live connection would allow, as it should be going through the gateway!

Adam

adam_gallard
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft

is there any update on this issue?

Adam