Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI to run WITHOUT admin rights ever?

I don't understand how since at least 2017 this product still requries admin rights, otherwise you get a "Microsoft Power BI Desktop couldn't start properly due to errors with named pipe connections".

It is 2021. I have Enterprise users asking me to install this product and I won't.

I am not granting local admin rights to anyone so that a Microsoft product can run.

This impacts today's 11/5/21 release as well. How is this possibly still an issue?

If this product is to be taken seriously then this issue needs to be resolved. 

Also, the 'Labels' to post here do not give you any option related to this request.

Hi @CJNewCOR 

According to the current requirements of installing Power BI Desktop, we have requirements on operation system, CPU, Memory and so on but we don't state that administrator rights are required. For more details, you may refer to Get Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. However, If organization configures some security group policy  on installing application, users in your organizaiton will not install Power BI Desktop unless they get permission from administrator. 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @CJNewCOR 

According to the current requirements of installing Power BI Desktop, we have requirements on operation system, CPU, Memory and so on but we don't state that administrator rights are required. For more details, you may refer to Get Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. However, If organization configures some security group policy  on installing application, users in your organizaiton will not install Power BI Desktop unless they get permission from administrator. 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun