Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI and Odata (Dynamics 365 Business Central)

Products:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central 14.0.45012.0
Microsoft Power BI Desktop
app.powerbi.com
OneDrive

Description:
The customer makes a report in Power BI Desktop then publish it to OneDrive and opens it in app.powerbi.com, and now wants to update the data.
The data source used is the Business Central OData service.

Problem:
First we used the OData service with Windows authentication which works well with the Power BI Desktop app. However, after publishing the report and opening it in app.powerbi.com, you can't choose Windows authentication, but only basic or token.
We then made an instance with basic authentication to use instead. This works fine when using Internet Explorer.

However, it doesn't work if you use Edge or Chrome - and worse yet, it doesn't work in the Power BI Desktop app.

So how do we configure an OData service, that will work both in the Power BI Desktop app and on app.powerbi.com?

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I would suggest you use O365 Oauth2 as authentication.

by the way, for Dynamics 365 Business Central, I would suggest you refer to this and post your comment in here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Platform-and-Dynamics-365/Seamless-integration-of-Power-BI-in...

Regards,

Lin

rlposselt
Regular Visitor

I should probably have mentioned we're a solutions provider of Dynamics 365 Business Central - and that we host those services in our own hosting center.

rlposselt
Regular Visitor

Finally found a solution that works.

We created an instance with NavUserPassword authentication, and a "webservices"-account with a web services key to use for this.

With this instance we could get both the Power BI Desktop app and app.powerbi.com working with basic logon (using the webservices account and web services key).