Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop WebView2 Out Of Memory

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2 running Out of memory. We have identified some of the top causes of this and have the details below. If that does not address your Out of memory problem, contact us at  pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Out of Memory cause: 

Custom visuals causing memory leak - If you are using any custom visuals and are running into Out of Memory crahses, please try removing the custom visuals to check if it resolves the issue. If it does, please reach out with the visual which was cauing the memory leak so we can address it. 

If you are not using any custom visuals and are still running into this, it could be due to having a lot of report pages and visuals per page. This causes the browser heap memory to exceed the 4GB limit and crash. This is sadly a limitation of chromium. 

Possible workaround 

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
glassjaw

Still experiencing this error. @rahulshevde have you folks been able to get in contact with the WebView2 team and come up with a gameplan? This bug is very inconvenient on hardware with >50GB free RAM and forces me to limit my reports to use less than 5GB of RAM.

lbendlin
Super User

This is highly annoying.  Just lost five hours of work because 

lbendlin_0-1707863891919.png

whatever this is couldn't figure out how to use 64GB of RAM ?

kirah2128
Helper I

I'm also encountering the same issue 😞 its sad that I wasnt able to recover all my changes after 3 hours of work.

pborah
Continued Contributor

I have been having this issue since the January 2024 updates. I'm on March 2024 version now. It's not because my reports are too big or visually rich. Infact my datasets usually contain no more than 50k rows and simple visuals that already come with PowerBI. It is happening even when I have absolutely blank report on standby on my laptop. The issue seems to occur when I've kept a report open for too long, but not always. The last time it happened few minutes ago, my test report was just open for about 5 hours and only had 6 scatterplots across 3 pages and about 5 card visuals. Nothing heavy on graphics, no extra background colors or images, fancy charts, or custom visuals, just those scatterplots depicting about 15k data points each.

mlane
Frequent Visitor

@pborah  I wanted to follow up on your message. I am having the same issue with Power BI and several applications