Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop WebView2 Out Of Memory

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2 running Out of memory. We have identified some of the top causes of this and have the details below. If that does not address your Out of memory problem, contact us at  pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Out of Memory cause: 

Custom visuals causing memory leak - If you are using any custom visuals and are running into Out of Memory crahses, please try removing the custom visuals to check if it resolves the issue. If it does, please reach out with the visual which was cauing the memory leak so we can address it. 

If you are not using any custom visuals and are still running into this, it could be due to having a lot of report pages and visuals per page. This causes the browser heap memory to exceed the 4GB limit and crash. This is sadly a limitation of chromium. 

Possible workaround 

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
pete123
Regular Visitor

Hi Microsoft,

Like many other users I have been suffering with the Webview2 error.  It has happened to me 20 times in the last week alone.  We upgraded to the January 2023 version of Power BI optimised for report server shortly before the problem started occurring.  Around about the same time Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime version 111.0.1661.44 was installed so it seems like one or the other is causing the problem.  There are a lot of table visuals on some of the pages of our reports (although all but one are hidden at any one time and revealed using bookmarks) but no custom visuals.  I clicked on the link to report the error directly from the pbix file which directed me here but it appears that this thread is not being monitored.  I reported the thread as inappropriate just to alert Microsoft to the fact that no-one appears to be monitoring this very important thread but still nothing.  Have also emailed with 'high importance' to the suggested email address pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com but no response as yet.  What is going on?  Very frustrating considering this bug was introduced by Microsoft over a year ago and yet they appear to be doing nothing about it and not even bothering to monitor the 'official' thread or email account.

KatarinaV
Advocate I

Hi,

Microsoft Desktop is crashing because WebView2.
Screenshot 2023-05-19 112756.pngScreenshot 2023-05-19 052638.png
Why an empty file is consuming more than 10 GB ?

riskybell

Not sure if it is helpful - I get this error when switching from a Map to a ArcGIS map.  The graph starts to show a busy icon and then Power BI desktop shutsdown.  Let me know if I can provide any details that might help.

KatarinaV
Advocate I

Thank you @riskybell for the tip. But this is not the case. None of the known workarounds was the solution. 
The problem was within MS product team ofc, but they would never admit that in public. Fix came with the prevous PBI desktop update - have no idea what was causing this issue, but at least PBI desktop is working now. 

belvoir

@KatarinaV thanks - this is useful. The number of crashes has fallen to a manageable amount now, but I'm still not completely convinced it won't shut down on me randomly!

It is a universal truth that Microsoft never admits to a bug, certainly not in public! 

SamuelAB
Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution to this old problem?

el-bachaohaql
Frequent Visitor

@KatarinaV In reference to your response above, please tell us which version has the fix.

This is happening with custom visuals, specifically Deneb when being used with DirectQuery and Page auto-refresh

el-bachaohaql
Frequent Visitor

@rahulshevde this issue is ruining my generated report. None of the troubleshooting tricks have worked, what do I need to do to get support on this?

el-bachaohaql
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way at least I can avoid coming back to this page?!?!!!????????????????????????????????????!??????????????!???????????????!???????

PowerBI crashed dozens of times, I keep getting redirected to this page automatically... And I always read and read it again in the hope that i'm missing something but i'm not.

Please find a way not to redirect me when Powerbi crashes.

P.S: Don't solve the crashing issue it's fine

cammc
Frequent Visitor

Im getting this now on Desktop as well. The only recent change I have made would be to switch the map from filled map to an Azure map, and since then its been having rendering problems and crashed on a few occatiions due to webview2 issues which linked me to this page