Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop WebView2 Out Of Memory

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2 running Out of memory. We have identified some of the top causes of this and have the details below. If that does not address your Out of memory problem, contact us at  pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Out of Memory cause: 

Custom visuals causing memory leak - If you are using any custom visuals and are running into Out of Memory crahses, please try removing the custom visuals to check if it resolves the issue. If it does, please reach out with the visual which was cauing the memory leak so we can address it. 

If you are not using any custom visuals and are still running into this, it could be due to having a lot of report pages and visuals per page. This causes the browser heap memory to exceed the 4GB limit and crash. This is sadly a limitation of chromium. 

Possible workaround 

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Thanks for your sharing about checking WebView2 issue in Power BI Desktop, it would help others who may have the same issue on the commnunity.

If anyone wants to help on this issue, you can contact the above e-mail or reply to this post.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
thaddeusferber
Frequent Visitor

I got it multiple times when attempting to upload a custom map to Microsoft's Shape Map visual.

dougbert
Helper II

I had the issue while in Desktop using a custom visual called Attribute Slicer.  Nice visual, but I'll need to use Stacked Column charts in production which does not auto-filter down related visuals like Attribute Slicer.  Sad.  I had 8 of these visuals on a single page.

I'm using Opera Version:90.0.4480.54, but Out of Memory before I could publish.  Desktop: Version: 2.108.825.0 64-bit (August 2022)

NICOLAS_RDGZ

Third time in one day PowerBI desktop turned off because of this error

PennanenN

This started happening occasionally in the desktop app. Then frequency increased. Now I can't even open my project without getting this error.

nitinbhai
Regular Visitor

Hello,

When I am refreshing my PowerBI desktop file,  I am getting the below error last couple of days.....

Memory error: memory allocation failure. Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.

SilvioM
Advocate I

Not sure what's the real cause of this issue is but it is extremely frustrating.  I have lost countless hours of work-time:  opening  & closing Power BI, unistalling and reinstalling Power BI, not to mention losing work and then having to redo it because the auto recovvery was sent to 10+ mins.  MSFT, please figure this issue out and fix it.

v_mark
Helper V

Please solve this issue. Causing so much pain 

nitinbhai
Regular Visitor

Below are two errors causing hours and hours of work...I am not sure how PwerBi launched any application without testing...and now no one solving the problems. Please fix this issue asap.

PowerBi_Error.png

MBreauAtBBB
Regular Visitor

@rahulshevde is anyone from Microsoft monitoring this thread? There is an answer marked as a solution but the issue isn't solved..

AUaero
Responsive Resident

We are continuing to see this error as well on reports without any custom visuals.  It typically happens if PBI Desktop and Edge are open at the same time.

@rahulshevde - this isn't fixed!