Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Possible bug on 'Area chart' vis - 'Shade area' not working for 'Customize series' feature

Hi,

When using the 'Area chart' vis with multiple values plotted, the 'Apply settings to' > 'Customize series' feature doesn't appear to work as intended for the 'Shade area' option. Whilst I am able to select an option from the 'Series' dropdown, adjusting the 'Area transparency' slider scale within 'Shade area' applies this formatting to all lines - not just the series that I have selected.

dansimmons_0-1647003774376.png

However, if I apply the same principle within the 'Data labels' formatting, for example, it only applies changes for the 'Series' option that I have selected, which is what I would expect to happen.

In terms of area shading, I am using a workaround in the form of the 'Line and stacked column chart' vis - for which the 'Customize series' feature does work correctly.

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi , @dansimmons 

I'll test the issues you mentioned and will update back with any results . If it is indeed a bug, I will submit it to ICM for processing.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @dansimmons 

I tested the scenario you mentioned, but I'm a little confused .

I created an Area chart visual and put three values in the visual , then three lines and corresponding areas appear on the visual . I set separate colors for lines and value as shown in the image below. What is the result you want, can you explain with a screenshot ?

Ailsamsft_0-1647422210169.png

Best Regards

dansimmons
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

Thanks very much for looking into this 🙂

If you now select the visual and go to 'Format visual', scroll down to 'Lines' and then the 'Apply settings to' section. Toggle the 'Customize series' option to 'On', then select one of your values in the 'Series' dropdown (which should mean that any customisation now only applies to this single value, and not the other two).

Next scroll down to 'Shade area', and increase the 'Area transparency' slider to '100%'. You will see that it makes the shading for all values transparent, rather than only applying to the single value that you selected in 'Customize series' above.

Finally, to demonstrate how it should work, change the visualisation to a 'Line and stacked column chart', and repeat the above steps (the only difference is that instead of an 'Area transparency' slider, there is a 'Shade area' toggle - but it works in a similar way). When this toggle is turned to 'Off', it (correctly) only applies to the single value selected in the 'Customize series' section.

dansimmons
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft,

Hope you are well.

Have you had an opportunity to review the above?

Thanks!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi , @dansimmons 

I did what you said, and the Shade area really can't be set according to the specified series. I have submitted this question to ICM with ID 297435771. I'll be back with an update if anything turns out, so please be patient with the news.

Best Regards,

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

dansimmons
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-yetao1-msft! I will await an update 👍

dansimmons
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

Hope all is well.

Any update on this one?

Thanks.

best_lina
Frequent Visitor

I have encountered similar issue. My case is worse than mentioned above. Under the "Stacked area chart" visual, the "shade area" is completely greyed out where I can't set the area transparency at all.  Explaination? Help?

best_lina_0-1685576969825.png

ptapia14

Hi, any update on this? 

it would be great to have this feature and be able to leave only some series as area and other ones as lines.
This would be possible if shade area option would be activated for specific series.

as you can see on furether image, is not possible to play with shade area if I select an specific series.

ptapia14_0-1698347263147.png

I'll keep an eye on this.