Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Personalize Visuals: change scatter-chart axis type and "Do not summarize"

I've implemented the Personalize Visuals feature on the scatter charts in a report that I am developing, in which scientific/technical data is displayed and can be explored. It works quite well, but testing has revealed a couple of issues that are preventing the full roll-out of this feature:

1. There does not appear to be a way for the user to change the axis type between linear and logarithmic. Without this, I would have to use the 'hack' of making four versions of each graph (with lin-lin, lin-log, log-lin, and log-log axes) and using bookmarks and buttons to switch between them. However, this of course isn't ideal, and would have the effect of 'resetting' the graph's contents (to whatever is set up for the bookmark) each time (instead of just changing the axis type and leaving the data selection unchanged).

2. When the user chooses a new field for one of the axes, the numerical data is summarised (using 'Sum') by default. This is not something that you typically want when plotting technical data. In the worst case, the user might not notice that the data has been summed up, and could draw incorrect conclusions. It would be much better if "Don't summarize" was the default option here, or perhaps the report developer could choose the default summarisation method when configuring the visual.

It would be great if the Power-BI development team could take these points as feedback / feature requests, and if someone could help with any other workarounds, that would also be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi @SJS ,

These are fabulous ideas that don’t support currently. You could submit your ideas in Power BI ideas(Ideas (powerbi.com)) or add you reply in the this post(Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals... - Microsoft Power BI Community). Through, you could give your suggestions on this product and help improve it. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @SJS ,

These are fabulous ideas that don’t support currently. You could submit your ideas in Power BI ideas(Ideas (powerbi.com)) or add you reply in the this post(Share your thoughts on the new personalize visuals... - Microsoft Power BI Community). Through, you could give your suggestions on this product and help improve it. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

SJS
Regular Visitor

Dear Caiyun,

OK, thanks for your response and advice. I've now posted my message to the Power BI Ideas forum, and have also replied to the "Share your thoughts..." post (which I did in fact add a reply to two years ago, in which I already mentioned the "Do not summarize" issue). I look forward to seeing if there are any responses...

Thanks again!