Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIX uploaded through SharePoint not auto-published anymore! "An unknown error has occurred."

Hi,

We have used the Workspace-> "Upload a file" option to upload PBIX from a SharePoint. This helps my team to just update latest PBIX on SP to have it auto published to Power BI service. Everything was working fine
But of late we noticed the auto publish from SP is not working anymore. And we get a very unhelpful error message "An unknown error has occurred. Please try again. "
SamRock_0-1657197133954.png

SamRock_0-1657198902721.png

And of course, due to some unknown/unexplained restriction you have in place, we cannot to publish the PBIX from Desktop as well!

SamRock_1-1657198667625.png

Now we have no way of publishing the latest PBIX.
We could of course republish with a new name, but that would mean, reshare to 100s of users. Communicate change in URLs/bookmarks/documenation update. We really help resolving the issue

Thanks for the information. Since upload to different workspaces and upload modifed .pbix file it can be refreshed successfully,  which the workspace type of the target workspace and the data source type of the report which may related to this issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Seems like could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test, the Onedrive refresh works fine in Power BI Service.

Whether it could be a temporary issue or a continous issue, or did this issue only happen in this SharePoint site, you can consider tryting to test other sites in some other time ranges to check whether it has the same issue.

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding. 
This does not look like a temporary issue. Refresh log shows that this has been happening since early May month. We only noticed it this week
As you can see it was working fine till April 27th. 

SamRock_0-1657273902868.png

And I uploaded the same PBIX to a different workspace from same SharePoint Site and when I uploaded a modified PBIX file it gets refreshed without any error. 

SamRock_0-1657274637314.png

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Thanks for the information. Since upload to different workspaces and upload modifed .pbix file it can be refreshed successfully,  which the workspace type of the target workspace and the data source type of the report which may related to this issue.

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I did not understand you. Are you suggesting the Workspace is the issue ?

Please note that this report is not a Scheduled to refresh on Service, so it rules out Data source type issue.
Data is refreshed on Desktop and then the PBIX is uploaded to SharePoint to be auto-published.

Is there a way you can look at the logs and tell why the publish is actually failing? We cant afford this happening again and again in future. 
The error message is very unhelpful with literally no information on what went wrong

TomasPergler

We had exactly the same problem as described, and to us OneDrive refresh helped. Semantic model -> Settings -> OneDrive refresh -> "By default, OneDrive updates files hourly. Do you want your files to be kept up to date?" -> On