Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New Matrix Visual Auto-resizing even with option off

Hi!

I tried everything: On, off, manually changing column sizes.

The columns resize even when I change and back to a tab.

Here an example. The first has the columns expanded, but as soon I change to a tab and get back here they shrink like the second one.

Clipboard01.png

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@zapppsr

I've sent mail to related team to confirm about this issue. 

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

zapppsr
Kudo Collector

Thank you!

This is really important to a report I'm working on and I'm with my hands tied.

This behaviour happens randomly. When I first created the report, everything was fine. After saving and reopening the report the matrix started to act like this.

Then I remade them exchanging rows for columns and I thought I had at least an alternative. As soon as I saved the report, the same issue happened.

I hope it helps recreating the scenario.

Regards,

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@zapppsr

I have severl tests on my side but cannot repro the same issue as you. Please refer to my recorded video below.

Could you please provide a PBIX file to me which can be used to repro? You can upload it to online file service like OneDrive and share it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

zapppsr
Kudo Collector

Hi @v-haibl-msft:

Thanks for looking into it and for your effort.

Yeasterday, I was showing to a friend the problem. I used some of the matrixes I had created earlier and the issue was there. I could recreate the symtoms. Then, I also showed him that when you create a new matrix, it behaves normally until you save the file, close and reopen.

When I did that to demonstrate, when I open the file, the newly created matrix was Ok (the previously created ones still faulty).  After that, I decided to erase and redo all my matrixes and do the same process: Save, close, reopen.

This time, they all holded the format and the issue was gone:

Clipboard01.png

So far even I could't recreate the issue. 

I'm aware that now that the custom visuals are integrated in the Desktop, they will be updated automatically when the provieder of the visual releases a new version.

This makes me wonder if the Oficial Matrix also can be updated a part from the whole Desktop applications, the same of custom visuals.

That is the only explanation I can think of for the symptom to be gone one day to the other without updating the Desktop.

I'm still monitoring to see if the scenario changes.

Can you verify if is this the case, the matrix visual being updated online without the desktp being updated?

Thanks again!

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@zapppsr

Actually in July 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, there is a notification about that the new Matrix/Table visual is already GA. We only need to select the old Matrix/Table visual and click the Matrix/Table icon to update them from the old version to the new version.

However there are still some users can repro this issue, I've provided the PBIX file to product team to take a look.

Create button when New matrix and table visuals screen appears_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

zapppsr
Kudo Collector

Hi @v-haibl-msft. I didn't understand your comment. My post is all about the New Matrix. I already converted my old matrix to the new ones.

When I mention "previouslly created ones" I mean the matrix in the new visual, that I created yesterday, already born in the new format.

So I don't know what you mean...

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@zapppsr

It seems that I did not understand you correctly. BTW, in Power BI Desktop, the matrix visual cannot be updated online without the desktop app being updated. For example, if we do not update from June 2017 version to July 2017 version of PBI Desktop, the matrix visual in PBI Desktop will not be changed from Preview version to GA version.

If new issue appears in the future, you can open a new issue.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

nuacr0s
Frequent Visitor

this issue is still happening in the latest version of PBI. My grand total header/column will keep resizing even after switching off the autofit functionality

can anybody help please?

this is urgent now