Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

New Explore Preview feature - Fields hidden in semantic model in desktop are not hidden in Explore

If a user (with build access) goes to Create then pick a published semantic model, there are some tables/fields that have been purposefully hidden in the model in Power Bi desktop which the user does not see. However, if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app), those same tables/fields are visible.  We believe they should be hidden through-out Explore as well.

Hi  @ckooiman 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

When you chose a published dataset in PBI Desktop and created a report , you can not see the tables/fields that have been hidden in the published dataset ,right ? 

The second situation you mentioned that if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app),those same tables/fields are visible. Can you explain it in detail ? Are you doing this on Service? Can you show your steps via video or screenshot ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @ckooiman 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

When you chose a published dataset in PBI Desktop and created a report , you can not see the tables/fields that have been hidden in the published dataset ,right ? 

The second situation you mentioned that if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app),those same tables/fields are visible. Can you explain it in detail ? Are you doing this on Service? Can you show your steps via video or screenshot ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ckooiman
Regular Visitor

Here are some screenshots to better show what we feel is incorrect when using the new Explore preview feature:

We have some fields and tables hidden in our semantic model in Power BI desktop - see screen shot

ckooiman_0-1701272801075.png

As expected, those fields and table are hidden when a user accesses the semantic model to build a report in the service (using Create and then selecting the model):

ckooiman_1-1701272937726.png

However, if the same user uses the new "Explore this data" feature with the semantic model, whether through OneLake data hub, or through a report connected to the semantic model, they see the fields and table that should be hidden.  See screen shot from Explore the data:

ckooiman_2-1701273144912.png

We believe this is an error and they should not see hidden fields.

If you prefer I create a video to show this, please let me know.

annelebel
Regular Visitor

Agree. Seeing same as @ckooiman has shown above.  Also believe it should be hidden in Explore.