Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

New App Experience: Cannot View Published App / "All" results in duplicate tab

After clicking publish on an app (which was previously working), clicking the link to view the app results in:

We do not recognize you. Did you enter your credentials correctly?
TECHNICAL DETAILS
Power BI was unable to read the application metadata. Please check the Power BI service status in the below support page and try again later.
Date and Time: 2022-09-06 16:57:59Z
Activity Id: 27ae267d-d579-4509-a753-f61b6956937c
Request Id: 6bc1da8f-d7f3-40f6-8c6b-0d008f5555f2

drvn2wn_0-1662483819959.png

The app will also no longer show in the apps section from the left hand navigation. If I go to add an app (via "Get App"), I can see it in the list to add. If I try to add it, I get this error:

Activity ID: 27ae267d-d579-4509-a753-f61b6956937c
Request ID: fac804a6-be76-81a6-2978-1551af76cf19
Correlation ID: 2ef1f97c-cedd-894c-38cf-cd2c6a31e297
Status code: 401
Time: Tue Sep 06 2022 12:04:31 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.18945.52
Client version: 2208.4.12891-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-north-central-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

drvn2wn_1-1662483911758.png

Interestingly, if I go to the App through my favorites, the app is still there - but if I view it, instead of loading the report pages - it loads as a list of reports that are contained in it.

drvn2wn_2-1662484131288.png

If I hit CTRL+SHIFT+R from this page, it then loads as the original error (did not recognize you/unable to read app metadata).

Potentially helpful context: updated to the new app experience last week, and it was working. One potential contributing factor that may be explanatory - the default "audience" that gets created when updating is the old variant of the App, which did not have anything hidden.

I created additional audiences that pertained to specific workgroups with some elements hidden that were not applicable to those work groups. Everyone that has access to the app has access to every report (in this case, everything is just workspace users, so no additional groups added). Thus, the workgroup audiences were a convenience, not a permissioning split. As a result of this, the main audience was exactly the same as the "All" tab that people see when viewing the app, so it resulted in a duplicate tab.

As a result, I deleted the first audience (which had the same name as the App) and published with the goal being that "All" would show everything, and the audiences tabs would contain workgroup specific reports. I believe it initially worked just fine this way. A few hours later, I believe it started loading the list of reports. Thinking I might know what the issue is - I created a new audience that had nothing hidden, named it the same as the app, and published. This worked, but brought back the duplicate tab problem. I had published with the new audience at the end of the list of audiences, so I edited the app to move that audience back to the front (drag and drop the tab to the first position, update app). After that is when I started experiencing this issue consistently, and have been unable to get the app to work appropriately since.

So - the urgent/important is figuring out what is causing the error, with the other issue being a feature issue/request - it would be nice if there is an audience that shows everything unhidden, that instead of duplicate tabs with different names, it would just show everying on "All" (or, enable an option to show/hide "All" tab or a particular tab similar to how you can with a report).

Hi @drvn2wn,

Recently, we do see some issues after upgrading the app experience. But your issue is different from what we receive. If this issue is urgent for you, I’d recommend you submitting a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are at least a Pro user. Then, there will be a support engineer to help you troubleshoot on this issue.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @drvn2wn,

Recently, we do see some issues after upgrading the app experience. But your issue is different from what we receive. If this issue is urgent for you, I’d recommend you submitting a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are at least a Pro user. Then, there will be a support engineer to help you troubleshoot on this issue.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

bajimmy1983
Helper V

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ! Until yesterday one of my Apps with new Experience was working properly, no issues! Today, at this moment I'm trying to update it, but getting now same error reported by @drvn2wn. How long your investigation will take? Is there a SLA for it? Is this issue being reported by other users? 

drvn2wn
Frequent Visitor

@bajimmy1983 - I ended up on a screen share with Power BI support yesterday (after submitting a ticket), and while they couldn't yet identify a specific reason for the error, I ultimately unpublished the app, and then published it anew, and it is working now (including with re-testing deletion of the primary audience tab). Reorganizing the audience tabs is still not working, but I have a working app again.

Important note: unpublishing the app will cause any individual-level bookmarks, comments, etc. to be lost. So, depending on if that is pertinent - this route may or may not work for you. If you do this - make sure to take a screen grab of the reports included in the app and any audience settings you entered, as you'll have to reconstruct the app from scratch. 

DirkA

I experienced the same issue yesterday. I also ended up unpublishing and publishing the app again. But once it is in production, I will not be able to do that again.

The new audiences experience is still buggy :(, I also experienced another issue where not all dashboards are shown.

datadive
Regular Visitor

I'm having exactly this issue but my App is effectively already pub'd to a Production workspace. The shareable app (installation) link shared with my app consumers no longer works. The web URL when you get the "we do not recognize you" error contains language about "...&errorType=AppMetadataInaccessible&". Does it have anything to do w/ metadata scanning - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-metadata-scanning? I theoretically like the new Audiences feature but unpublishing & re-publishing the app to resolve this (and sharing a new shareable app link) is a time-consuming 'hack'.