Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Location of Saved files in PowerBi Desktop

I dont know if I am aloen in this persistens issue I have.

I tend to update reprots daily and change the datasoruces to refresh  standard reports with new inputs. 

When I open a report from a directory, PowerBi will save that file nt tto the directory from which it was opened (As does Excel and most other desktop apps) instead it will save the file back to the last location it used from a  previous saved report 

I have to remember that PowerBi will try and do this and then "save as" to the original directory that the current report came from

When I forget , I then get reports saved in the worng directories

Can this be fixed so that PowerBI "remembers" where the current report being edited cames from and defaults to saving back to its original  location

If I am doing somehting peculiar or there is a fix for this already I would much appreciate any pointers or help as this bug can be frustrating and time wasting

Comments
Sietsekogelman

Hi, same here, very strange default behaviour in my opinion. I'm looking through my folders regularly to find my files, as this behaviour puts files in folders you don't want them to be in. Please fix this Microsoft.

Bill_NYC
Regular Visitor

Totally agree.  The way it works now is totally unintuitive and confusing.

someotheruser
Regular Visitor

+1 upvote for this

Please fix this already. There is no reason why modified files should by default be saved to the last used folder rather than their current folder. It's at best an inconvenience and at worst a real hazard when working with files and folders of different clients.

danielcassidy
Regular Visitor

@v-jiascu-msft - please update the original post, it does not require any "more info" - the more info "tag" you have applied is no longer valid, and therefore it is misleading. The OP has made it clear in subsequent posts and I agree, this needs to be fixed. File -> Save As should default to the current location of the .pbix (not the location of the last file/data source that was accessed/loaded into the .pbix), it's very annoying when I have to hunt through 10+ data source files to figure out where my updated .pbix is because I forgot to manually reset the save as file path (because you have to do it every time, it's easy to forget once in a while!). It's even more annoying when I go to my expected file 'save as' location, and work on a .pbix that I later realise is an old version and not the most recent .pbix I worked on, which causes re-work. The file -> save as feature should work the same as excel/word /PowerPoint etc. It makes it more confusing because you expect continuity across Microsoft products.  

P.S. Googling this issue is quite specific/nuanced and I suspect this request does not have more upvotes because it is difficult to find this post. 

danielcassidy
Regular Visitor

I looked at the ideas forum, it looks like you can vote for this idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=b6141b76-cf87-4b0b-aac2-6754bfb78f69

Hi69
Frequent Visitor

Hi danielcassidy,

Thank you - I already voted.

Hi @all if you are also interested in the change please vote !!!

AKHJOON2

I had to come to this thread before I could believe what I was seeing with my own application... this is nuts... please fix this 5 years ago.

kevnotec
Advocate I

Yes this is very annoying and counter-intuitive.

If you open a .pbix and save it as a .pbit, it doesn't save it in the location that the file was opened from.

It saves it in the location of the last .pbit you worked on.