Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue with opening Power BI Desktop - Arithmetic Operation Resulted in an Overflow.

Cannot open Power BI Desktop App...getting the following error message: arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Attempted to uninstall/reinstall the application, tried downloading previous month version, and it automatically opens up to the same error.

See full error details below:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Stack Trace:
System.OverflowException
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOExtraField.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, ZipIOZip64ExtraFieldUsage zip64extraFieldUsage, UInt16 expectedExtraFieldSize)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileHeader.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, Encoding encoding)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileBlock.ParseRecord(BinaryReader reader, String fileName, Int64 position, ZipIOCentralDirectoryBlock centralDir, ZipIOCentralDirectoryFileHeader centralDirFileHeader)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOLocalFileBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager, String fileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOBlockManager.LoadLocalFileBlock(String zipFileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFile(String zipFileName)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.GetFiles()
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage.ContentTypeHelper..ctor(ZipArchive zipArchive, IgnoredItemHelper ignoredItemHelper)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream stream, FileMode fileMode, FileAccess fileAccess)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Storage.Local.ZipLocalStorage..ctor(Stream stream, Boolean isReadonly)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingUISettingsStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.UISettings.UISettingsPackageStorage.GetSettings()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.UISettings.GetSetting[T](String settingName, Func`2 getFunc)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Shared.PowerBIUserSettings.GetIntSetting(String settingName, Int32 defaultValue, RegistryKeyName[] defaultRegistryKeys)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Shared.PowerBIUserSettings.get_ForegroundEvaluationContainerCount()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass5_1.<RunApplication>b__4()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplication(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.115.1006.0","ModuleName":"WindowsBase.dll","Component":"MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOExtraField","Error":"System.OverflowException","MethodDef":"ParseRecord","ErrorOffset":"227"}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

Hi  @acor305 ,

This should be a version compatibility issue. The fix will be completed in a future release.
For now as workaround, please downloaded Power BI from the Microsoft Store.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @acor305 ,

That typically refers to a column where the value in the column is larger than the data type. Can you make sure that all your columns are set to Decimal Number with a max value?

Best regards.

acor305

Hello @v-xiaoyan-msft,

I'm getting this error message when launching the application, and I dont have any other pbix files open at the time of launch. I tried opening several different files and receive the same error for each, and it doesnt let me bypass to the application itself, it just gives the option to cancel, report this issue, or copy details to clipboard. I also downloaded the previous months version and got the same error message on that installation.

I then downloaded Power BI from the Microsoft Store and that version works. However, when I attempt to download and open the installation from the Microsoft Website, I get the same error message. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on getting this fixed since I prefer to use the Power BI version from the Microsoft website and not the Microsoft store.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi  @acor305 ,

This should be a version compatibility issue. The fix will be completed in a future release.
For now as workaround, please downloaded Power BI from the Microsoft Store.

Best regards.