Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue sharing an App or Report to user WITHOUT giving BUILD permissions

I shared this in the Get Help with Power BI Service forum but think it belongs in issues. Can someone review and let me know?

Issue sharing an App or Report to user WITHOUT giv... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hi @bwarner87 ,

To make sure I have not misunderstood your needs, have you encountered any of the following situations.
When you have a composite model in your report, if you don't give the user build permission, they will not be able to access the report properly.

vcaitlynmstf_0-1662709256049.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @bwarner87 ,

To make sure I have not misunderstood your needs, have you encountered any of the following situations.
When you have a composite model in your report, if you don't give the user build permission, they will not be able to access the report properly.

vcaitlynmstf_0-1662709256049.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

drvn2wn
Frequent Visitor

@bwarner87 I have experienced the same recently - it seems a poor choice to require build permissions on something to enable viewing. This is potentially very problematic (in my case, it's required due to using datasets from other workspaces).

However, I took a looksie and I think a potential reason you're experiencing this pain is that the read-level requirements for premium workspaces that were announced in the blog that you referenced appears to be specific to reports. Your troubleshooting attempts appear to be specific to publication of an App.

Since there's only one report that you're trying to put in the app - have you tried providing access to just the report itself, and not publishing an app, without granting the build access (but keeping read on all the Power BI datasets in the chain: people hierarchy, compensation dashboard, workforce dashboard(updated))?

Back on the app side: In the Publishing an App documentation that you also linked to - there's a note about the need for build access if using datasets from other workspaces (which you aren't), but if you keep reading, it says that if you are using a dataset from the same workspace, to also add the report associated with the dataset to the App as well. I'm wondering if you have reports associated with the other datasets in your chain, and maybe this is pointing you to add those reports to your app (which could then be hidden in the navigation for your audience(s) if you don't want them viewable):

drvn2wn_0-1662744750155.png

Best of luck!

bwarner87
Advocate I

Hi v-caitlyn-mstf

To answer your questions directly, yes that's correct.

Going further, whether it is pubished as an APP OR Report with a shareable link, I'm having to add the user as Contributor to the Workspace to be able to see all the data visuals.  

NOTE: I was not able to locate the area in your screen shot to check for setting. Could you provide navigation directions to that page? 

bwarner87
Advocate I

@v-xiaoyan-msft and @drvn2wn ,

I was able to narrow in on the issue. In short I needed to add users to a group in RLS on one of the Power BI Datasets that is a direct query data source in the chain.  Note: i did this for a REPORT i didn't test an app setup but think it wouldn't be an issue. Thank you for taking the time to read and weigh in.

For reference 

Dataset permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

bwarner87_0-1663089014881.png