Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Internet Explorer and Edge crash on a report with a specific type of chart

IE and Edge seems to crash when viewing a report witch specific type of chart. Problem occurs at least in this configuration: Windows 10 ver. 1703 64bit, IE 11.1088.15063.0, Edge  40.15063.674.0, Power BI Desktop 2.59.5135.421 64-bit

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new Power BI report with Power BI Desktop.
2. Get data from somewhere or enter data manually (you should have at least 2 columns, a category-field and a number-field, a few rows is enough). Data itself doesn't seem to matter (where it comes from, etc) in order to reproduce the problem.
3. Add Line and Clustered Column Chart to the report
4. Add the Category-field as shared axis and the number-field as the line
5. Make sure the settings for the line are as follows: https://imgur.com/a/pBTbSMY

(Format -> Shapes -> Stroke Width:4, Join Type:Bevel, Line Style: Solid, Show markers: On, Marker style: circle, Marker size: 6)

7. The graph should look something like this: https://imgur.com/mhK77j8
6. Save the file and publish it to PowerBI.com
7. Open up Internet Explorer or Edge and browse to PowerBI.com
8. Login and view the published report

What happens:
The browser starts to load the report but after a few seconds it crashes to an unknown cause

What should happen:
The report should load normally to be viewable and clickable

I think the problem is related to the markers on the line graph. The line seems to be missing the markers when the browser crashes. After a few crashes, the browser somehow is able to load the report and everything is working fine. If I clear the cache of the browser and restart it, the problem comes back.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also experiencing this isuse had had to change the point size to something other than the default of 6.

Has anyone received a response from Microsoft?

tuomo_kareoja
Frequent Visitor

Had the same problem. Changing the marker size to 5 fixed the issue.

denpries
Resolver I

I have the exact same issue on iexplore 11.0.9600.19035

11.0.65 update version

No issue in chrome

SoltV
Advocate I

Microsoft might have recognized the issue, Power BI Support Site says "Internet Explorer 11 users may experience issues with using line charts or combo/line charts that have the SVG Marker option turned on."

Next update seems to be @08/16/2018 17:00 PDT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

We have often met the IE corruption issue recently. Has MS provided any fixing or updates on this issues? The corrption showing randomly and our users see thsis errror when reviewing different Power BI reports.

kkalyanthaya
Employee

How can i change the point size / marker size to 5 ? Where can i find this setting ?

SoltV
Advocate I

Hi @kkalyanthaya

The setting is is visible when you select the chart and select Formatting -> Shapes -> Show marker:

shapesett.PNG

johannahellden
Regular Visitor

Hi!

I'm also experiencing crashes in Explorer with any type of line chart where I have a marker of size 6. 

However, when adding the marker as a part of a customization of different series - I can have the markers of of size 6 without crashes.