Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HTTP 401 Error on Composite Model Dataset with RLS

I am getting a HTTP Status Code 401 error on my visuals in my report in Power BI Service when a user views the visual or when Testing RLS as Role. 

shibainufan1_0-1685469796961.png

Http Status Code: 401
Activity ID: 4247bcfb-644a-4d07-9856-7c71f605bed5
Correlation ID: d6443e2d-886e-a851-d26a-3563915248be
Request ID: 48d72707-9495-45f4-df09-cef75ffa1c70
Time: Tue May 30 2023 10:46:35 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.20772.76
Client version: 2305.4.14049-train

The report's dataset is a composite model using a Shared Dataset (with Direct Query to AS connection) as well as imported tables.  Both the report dataset and shared dataset have RLS enabled and are in the same workspace.  I verified the RLS role is assigned in Power BI Service for both the report dataset and shared dataset.  

When testing RLS in Power BI Desktop using View As, it is working without errors.  Also, when viewing the report myself as an Admin to the workspace, I can see the report visuals without any issue.  

I have tried assigning the User to both Viewer & Build permissions on the shared dataset (per this post Solved: RLS in composite mode - Microsoft Fabric Community), and Viewer permissions on the report dataset but the 401 error still persists. 

Hi @shibainufan1 

Is this the only user who can't load this visual properly? Are there any other users involved in the RLS that you set up?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @shibainufan1 

Is this the only user who can't load this visual properly? Are there any other users involved in the RLS that you set up?

Best Regards,

shibainufan1
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

There are others involved in the RLS I setup who also cannot load the visuals.  The visuals are working only for those with Member & Admin permissions in the workspace.  

Thank you!

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @shibainufan1 

Have their licenses expired? If you change the role to member for that user, can he add visual normally?

Best Regards,

shibainufan1
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

Appreciate your help.  The licenses are not expired.  We are using a Premium Capacity workspace. 

Today, I was able to get the visuals working for the users on RLS by removing the shared Direct Query dataset from the report's dataset and using import mode to load the tables instead.  It isn't ideal since I'm now maintaing two versions of the same data transformations in parallel, but I can confirm it resolved the HTTP error.