Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gauge Size shifts when different options are selected with Slicer

All,

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have 6 different gauges (Standard Power BI gauge) next to each other on my dashboard, each displaying a different financial salient (sales, profit, etc.).  Every gauge is formatted exactly the same, and feature the same dimensions in the "General" section of the formatting tool. When I change what is selected with the slicer to a different portion of the business, all of the gauges change size; some get larger, some get smaller, some shift left/right.  It is important to note that the actual dimensions in the "General" section of the formatting tool do not change, only the Gauge within the box those dimensions create.

All of the number labels on these Gauges are between 2 and 4 digits, and the problem seems to still exist regardless of how many digits are being displayed.  

I notice that if I remove the Target Value from the gauge then this issue disappears, however this is important information that needs to be included in the Gauge. 

Has anyone experienced this issue before? The size of the gauges has to remain consistent otherwise the dashboard looks extremely sloppy in a professional environment. 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to address my issue!

Charlie 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @calmeida734,

Can you share some pictures or record a video to clarify the issue? Detail steps should be better for us to reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

calmeida734
Regular Visitor

Pre PivotPre Pivot

After Pivot #1After Pivot #1

After Pivot #2After Pivot #2

Here are the pictures that visually represent what is going on. Using the "Pre Pivot" as a base, you can already see that some of the gauges are different sizes, (See Gauge 6), despite all having the same dimensions in the General formatting tool.  Moving to "After Pivot 1" photo, you can see that the sizes of Gauge's 2 & 3 are now significantly smaller then they were in "Pre Pivot." Moving on from there to "After Pivot 2" you can see that all the Gauges shift again (although this time to a relatively consistent size, which will be lost upon another Pivot.)

If you click through the three pictures one by one you can really see what is going on. I hope this clarifies what is going on a little better than the description. 

Thanks again for your help!

Charlie 

granttessitore
Regular Visitor

I have this same problem. I am trying to make a dashboard with over a dozen guages and I can't for the life of me keep them all the same size. I can't even seem to make them all the same size to begin with. I put in the dimensions and depending on the data in the guage, they are different sizes. Very frustrating. 

calmeida734
Regular Visitor

I have a solution but it might not be the one you want.  If you remove all the data lables so that all your looking at is the guage itself the problem seems to go away.  The guage will pivot based on the selctions of your slicers but the size of the guage itself wont change.  

It seems what drives the shift in size is the number of digits it the data lable being displayed. 

I'm not sure how this was missed in development.  For dashboards that are used in a professional environment having the guages shift sizes just isn't an option. 

hymieho
Resolver I

YES, please fix this. If a Target value is set, the gauge will resize depending where on where the target value is in the arc. 

As you can see from the borders, the three gauges below have the same height & width in General properties and are aligned at the top/bottom, yet:

• The middle one is lower than the other two
  • The one on the right is smaller and is higher than the other two

gauges MS.JPG

I tried the Tachometer control from the store and it has similar issues (see below) which makes me think this could be a flaw in the rendering engine, or maybe this is an issue that developers need to account for... either way I agree with @calmeida734 that this unpredictability makes these gauges almost unusable because it is so visually distracting.

Customer: "Why is this gauge smaller..what are you trying to convey?" 

Me: <mutter mutter Microsoft mutter> "There's nothing I can do--let's try a different visual"

tach.JPG

hymieho
Resolver I

Here is another report I am working on. These are all the Tachometer visualization, and all of the visuals in the first 3 columns are all the same size, however the bottom middle is clearly rendering smaller than the others. I didn't blank out the entire call out for all of them to demonstrate that they all are all showing a callout which is why the problem manifests.

~hymie

gauges.png

EdBojorquez

My solution was to deactivate my data labels and adding cards that show those values below the gauges, this may not be the best solution when having multiple gauges, but in my case they we're just a few ones so I had no troubles organizing the cards.

freyadudding2
Frequent Visitor

Completely agree with this, it looks very unprofessional on reports to have two spaces the same but two completely different sized gauge charts, here is an example of mine:

freyadudding2_0-1667383247088.png

I know it is because of the target value, but I want that value to be shown on both

WinterMist
Impactful Individual

Hello,

Does anyone know if Microsoft plans to fix this?

This is such a basic & useful visual.

However, this inconsistent sizing issue makes it unacceptable to the business.

I realize that others have suggested to use a Bullet Chart.

This works.  But my thoughts are as follows:

1) Business truly prefers the Gauge Chart (if it can be consistent in size i.e. look professional)

2) Why do we have the Gauge Chart at all if we cannot use it in a professional manner?

Regards,

Nathan

WinterMist_0-1677175908464.png