Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gateway data refresh fails when data is merged from web and on-prem sources

Datasets that include a query that merges data coming from a web data source on one side and another set of data coming from an on-Premises data source can't be refreshed using the On-Premises data gateway.

Error messages depend on the kind of the web data source. For example:

• Sharepoint Online List: "The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid"
  • Excel in Sharepoint Online (Web Connector): "SharePoint: Request failed: https://[...]"

I tried to merge data

• from On-Prem Oracle with SPO List
  • from On-Prem Excel with SPO List
  • from On-Prem Excel with Excel in Sharepoint Online (Web Connector)

Every attempt failed. Tested with On-Prem Data Gateway 12-2018. I followed this documentation. According to this announcement this should work.

However, refreshes succeed when I access the identical data sources with reports that do NOT merge the data in a query:
Merge Test Result.png

Comments
Sokon
Advocate V

Hi @I_B , no news here. However, with the arrival of Dataflows we now import the on-prem data into a Dataflow to cache it. Then, we join that Dataflow to the data from the cloud in the Data preparation/M step. Because then it's both cloud data and therefore the merge works. Hope this helps you, too!