Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fix the search in the tenant

When I start typing in the search box at the top of the page on the Power BI service, it doesn't prioritize items that exactly match the text that I'm typing in. It seems to be sorting the suggested items based on the content type, rather than how closely the name matches the text that I'm typing. I typed the exact name of a report that I was looking for, and the report didn't show up in the suggested items under the search box. It did show up in the results after I hit search, but that doesn't excuse the difference between the expectations and the reality of the search box. I would expect it to first show items that start with the text that I'm typing in, followed by items that contain the text that I'm typing, followed by items that match because of some fuzzy searching. Currently the results it's showing seem very fuzzy and aren't anywhere close to the actual item I'm looking for.

Hi @CElzinga 

When you type in a keyword and the overlay drop-down should list all the artifacts that match that term . So when the content you search for exists with the same keywords as the rest of the content, what is displayed is the result of the fuzzy query.

Ailsamsft_0-1679293250483.png

You can vote the idea and comment there to improve this feature.  If a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @CElzinga 

When you type in a keyword and the overlay drop-down should list all the artifacts that match that term . So when the content you search for exists with the same keywords as the rest of the content, what is displayed is the result of the fuzzy query.

Ailsamsft_0-1679293250483.png

You can vote the idea and comment there to improve this feature.  If a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

CElzinga
Regular Visitor

Well then, I guess my complaint is that the search is too fuzzy. Because in my specific example, I am searching for an existing report called AR Invoice Analysis. When I type "AR Invoice" in the search box, I would expect that the top result would be something that starts with the text "AR Invoice", but instead it's showing me the "Invoiced Part Sales Data Model" and the "AR Aging Model", rather than anything that starts with the text "AR Invoice".

Then, if I look at the full search results for "AR Invoice" I have to scroll down to the fifth page of search results in order to actually find anything that has the full string "AR Invoice" in it, which isn't what I would expect in the behavior of the search.

Unfortunately your motivational incentives are such that almost never consider something a bug. Bugs don't exist in your software. Only features. And if I'm seeing unexpected behavior, it's not because of a bug in the software. It's a feature that hasn't yet been implemented. And if I want to see that feature implemented, I should go submit the idea and hope that it gets upvoted to the point where it actually gets attention. And a "feature" like this is a simple quality of life improvement that will never raise to the level of attention that it would be fixed...sorry...implemented. "Fixed" implies that its a bug...and those don't exist.