Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Field parameters - drill down not preserved (!)

When using the new "field parameters" feature to switch the rows of a matrix between e.g. fields from DimProduct and fields from DimStores, drill downs are not preserved.

E.g. when drilling down on DimProduct[Product Category] = "TV and Video", the matrix correctly shows the breakdown on the next level: DimProduct[Product Subcategory]. Also all other visuals on the page get the filter DimProduct[Product Category]) = "TV and Video" applied. So far so good.

But when then using the field parameter to switch the rows of the matrix to e.g. "DimStores[Continent]", the matrix loses the filter on Product Category: instead of showing the figures just for "TV and Video", it shows the figures for all products. The other visuals on the page however still have the filter for "TV and Video" (!), but this is also lost when another drill down is done in the matrix, e.g. on DimStores[Continent]. 

@jeroenterheerdt : if this could be fixed, the "field parameters" feature is a great addition to Power BI!

Hi @MdJ 

Currently you can't use field parameters as the linked fields of a drill-through or tooltip page. You can put your idea to Ideas Forum , if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/ 

Ailsamsft_0-1653892537190.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
jeroenterheerdt
Employee

Thanks, tagging @SujataNarayana who owns this feature on our team.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @MdJ 

Currently you can't use field parameters as the linked fields of a drill-through or tooltip page. You can put your idea to Ideas Forum , if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/ 

Ailsamsft_0-1653892537190.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

MdJ
Regular Visitor

Dear Community Support Team / Ailsa Tao,

Please note that I wasn't referring to drill-through but rather drill-DOWN.

When drilling down in a matrix using a Field parameter (e.g. drill-down on Product category "TV and Video" so that the matrix is showing the Product Subcategories under "TV and Video"), this is automatically added as a filter to all other visuals on the page (e.g. a chart or card). So the matrix, chart and card visuals all have the same scope.

But when then using the Field parameter to show data by e.g. Continent, the matrix loses its filter for "TV and Video", and shows data for all Product Categories. However, the other visuals on the page still have the "TV and Videos" filter! This means the visuals no longer have the same scope.

IMHO, the current behavior is inconsistent. If the filter resulting from a drill-down cannot be preserved in the matrix, it should be cleared on other visuals as well.

Let me know if a short Teams call is needed to clarify the issue in detail.

Thanks,

Miel de Jong

MdJ
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft & @SujataNarayana , would you mind having another look at this issue? It shows with status DELIVERED, but from my point of view this is not yet resolved/clarified.

Thanks!

Miel de Jong

LukanowiczpRY
Regular Visitor

Hi, I have same issue and its about Drill-DOWN, not about specified in limitations drill-through or tooltip. Most visible symptom of the problem for me, is that whenever i swtich Field Param filter to another field and one of the items in visual was extended to the next level, it Drill's-DOWN, to lowest level of dimension available in the visual for all the items, automatically. Its makes this feature completely useless for multi dimension level(hierarchy) visuals.

ChrisToldi
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft & @SujataNarayana ,
I am having the same issue here - Drill-down is being removed by switching to another paramtere field in a slicer which parameter field is loaded to the matrix - 

I am sure it has been marked delivered incorrectly.

Please advise.