Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Field Parameter Resets Graph Ordering

The new Field Parameter is great, but I noticed that when a field parameter is selected from the slicer, the graph visual (in this case the Clustered Bar Chart) does not retain the sort axis field and ascending/descending order. It seems to reset every time a new group is selected from the parameter slicer. The current graph hierarchy is also reset every time a parameter slicer is selected.

Hi @buitrond,

There is an existing ICM for this issue(ICM 309586486). Currently, the product group has filed a bug for it and they are working on the fix. Please be patient for the fix. Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @buitrond,

There is an existing ICM for this issue(ICM 309586486). Currently, the product group has filed a bug for it and they are working on the fix. Please be patient for the fix. Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

buitrond
Regular Visitor

I see. Thank you for letting me know!

RHOU
Advocate II

@v-keg  Why do you set the status to Delivered when it has not been fixed yet? Shouldn't the status be accepted? 

Also, if this is a known issue, why is it not added here? 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/troubleshoot/known-issues/power-bi-known-issues

It would solve us users a lot of time if the communication from Microsoft was more accurate. 

buitrond
Regular Visitor

Yes, that is a good point @RHOU . I thought this issue would have been addressed by now, but it still persists. 

RHOU
Advocate II

@buitrond there is a workaround that inexplicably works. In numeric columns like Year you simply copy the column and use one as the sort column. Shouldn't make a difference, but suprisingly it solves the issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-8p7_3yZk

buitrond
Regular Visitor

Thanks @RHOU, that is helpful for sorting purposes. I do have quite a few fields in my parameter, so it will require me to create quite a few sorting fields.

However, my biggest frustation with the field parameters is how a table hierarchy is lost when another field is selected from a parameter slicer. 

I have two levels in the table below, Parater field and Gender.

drill down reset.JPG

The gender level is lost when I select another field parameter option. 

Users have to expand one level down to see it, and many users may not know how, and it will require more explanation on my end--not an intuitive solution.

Reset drill down.JPG

This problem seems to apply to bar chart hierchies as well.

dom99
Advocate V

@buitrond 

Did you manage to find a fix for the field parameters resetting hierarchies? Its rather frustrating.

buitrond
Regular Visitor

@dom99 
No, I have not found a solution. Feel free to follow up with Microsoft as I'm not sure if an update for this is even in the works.