Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Extremely slow loading of PowerBI Desktop after upgrading from December 2022 to feb/march/april 2023

Hey there,

we've been using Power BI Desktop for a few years in our company (and since July 2022 also Power BI Services). We've been keeping up to date with Power BI Desktop version for last 2 years and never had this issue before. 

Basically - after upgrading from December 2022 version to February 2023 (also tested on march 2023 / april 2023 - same results ) - loading time of PBI Desktop has skyrocketed - we are talking of jump from just a few seconds to several minutes. Opening blank file takes up to few minutes now , and saved file (size doesnt matter in this case - tested on small and larger files aswell) tens of minutes or not at all (as of now, we have to open saved files by opening blank one, then file -> load etc..) This is happening across the entire company (dozens of computers) , tested multiple times.

I cannot find anyone reporting on this issue so I suppose it has something to do with our systems. I'll be happy to provide any information but for most of it, I'll have to consult with our IT department. 

Thanks in advance for further help.

Hi @DusanRusnak 

Have you guys tried clearing Desktop's cache ? 

vyetao1msft_0-1682062363285.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @DusanRusnak 

Have you guys tried clearing Desktop's cache ? 

vyetao1msft_0-1682062363285.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

DusanRusnak
Regular Visitor

Hey there,

thanks for tip.

Checked it out on few computes -

1 computer - empty file was opened within 30 seconds (that's acceptable to us), but saved file (small one - up to 3MB) took 4+ minutes to open even after clearing cache.

3 other computers have persisting problem even with cleared cache and opening empty files (still takes 2-3 minutes ~ if not more ), as for saved files - stopped tryin after 5-6 minutes 

All notebooks have same specifications 

DusanRusnak
Regular Visitor

Cleared the cache, just updated to May 2023 version - problem persists.

new files opens quiet quickly (relative to what how feb/march/april did..), but saved file (tried it on tiny file under 1 MB) still takes forever - that is if it opens at all...

as for the new file - out of 10 times , 3 times was quick, 4 times it took a little longer but still acceptable and the other 3 i had to force close it ..  

ey1020_park
Frequent Visitor

Any update on this issue?

We have same problem after upgrading from 2021-09 to 2023-05.

Opening blank file is okay to endure.(Much slower compared to 2021-09 version   😞 )

But saved file cannot be open.

What happens to 2023 year's desktop files? 

DusanRusnak
Regular Visitor

Hey there,

my colleagues are just looking into it (it was on hold for a while), anyway it seems that either our DLP or proxy settings are causing the issue (the software that deals with sensitivity labels).

Yesterday we tested it by downgrading DLP and PowerBI destkop started nice and quick (both new and saved files)... now they just have to find out which setting of DLP is causing it and what are our workarounds (we are dealing with very sensitive data , thus we cannot just keep it shut down)  

DusanRusnak
Regular Visitor

Issue resolved by turning off security setting on our side. 

Cannot tell the details sice I myself dont understand them. Had something to do with forcepoint settings regarding our company security policy.

Anyway thanks for help.