Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Establishing multiple dataverse connections across tenants - What is the right approach?

Hoping this wonderful community can help a novice Power BI admin 🙂 I will be creating 8 different Power BI Dashboards connecting to 8 different dataverses, across four tenants [2 each tenant - test and prod] and using 8 different dedicated accounts [2 each tenant - test and prod]. It was recommended to me that when you need to create multiple Power BI dashboards and you need to switch from one tenant to another for the dataverse data source, that you should edit or clear all permissions from existing dataverse connections in Power BI desktop to reset it. For awareness, this is part of the install of the COE Starter Kit Core Components in our partner tenants.

My concern is that by clearing all permissions from the connections I've made, it might impact the already published models and reports in one of our tenants which use these connections.

Does clearing my permissions for dataverse in power bi impact the published sematic and report in power bi service?

I wonder if the advice to clear the permissions is the best route to ensure I can cleanly create the many dashboards for each of our partner tenants for both test and prod environments as needed - just cautious of any impact the the existing published report in one of our partner tenants.

Any support would be much appreciated.

Hi @JulesCam ,

Changing data source credentials or permissions in Power BI can have several impacts, depending on the data source and how the report or dashboard is set up. If a data source is used in multiple reports or dashboards, changing the credentials can affect all the reports that use that data source.

When you make changes to a semantic model, it’s important to be able to assess the potential impact of those changes on downstream reports and dashboards that depend on that semantic model. Semantic model impact analysis provides you with information that can help you make this assessment. It shows you how many workspaces, reports, and dashboards might be affected by your change, and provides easy navigation to the workspaces where the affected reports and dashboards are located so that you can investigate further.

However, semantic model changes often have no adverse effect on their downstream reports and dashboards. Still, you get this message that gives you clarity concerning potential impact.

In order to perform impact analysis on a semantic model, you must have write permissions to it. In the impact analysis side pane, you only see real names for workspaces, reports, and dashboards that you have access to.

For more information,you may refer to:Semantic model impact analysis - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope it helps!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @JulesCam ,

Changing data source credentials or permissions in Power BI can have several impacts, depending on the data source and how the report or dashboard is set up. If a data source is used in multiple reports or dashboards, changing the credentials can affect all the reports that use that data source.

When you make changes to a semantic model, it’s important to be able to assess the potential impact of those changes on downstream reports and dashboards that depend on that semantic model. Semantic model impact analysis provides you with information that can help you make this assessment. It shows you how many workspaces, reports, and dashboards might be affected by your change, and provides easy navigation to the workspaces where the affected reports and dashboards are located so that you can investigate further.

However, semantic model changes often have no adverse effect on their downstream reports and dashboards. Still, you get this message that gives you clarity concerning potential impact.

In order to perform impact analysis on a semantic model, you must have write permissions to it. In the impact analysis side pane, you only see real names for workspaces, reports, and dashboards that you have access to.

For more information,you may refer to:Semantic model impact analysis - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope it helps!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

JulesCam
Regular Visitor

Thanks Caitlyn.

Just for clarity, there is only one dataverse connection for each dashboard, it is the same dashboard template but each will have its own connection to a separate dataverse. I was advised to clear my permissions in Power BI Desktop (not Power BI Service) to create a clean connection for each dataverse. Does this change your response or would you still expect to see an impact to any already published reports?

Much appreciated.