Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Errors in Power BI Desktop's Power Query Refresh

My environment consists of about 10 reports, 5 dataflows including a staging dataflow that supports the others, and original data sources of Smartsheet, SharePoint lists, and Excel (no relational database). For the most part, the Power BI report datasets pull their data from the dataflows, but some dataset tables might be pulling directly from original sources.

Power BI Desktop version 2.110.1161.0 64-bit (October 2022)

Since Monday morning, I have had problems with Power BI's Refresh and with Power Query's Refresh All and Refresh Preview. These occur in reports that worked on Friday but that, when opening, fail to refresh. Most frequently, these produce the "Too many bytes" error. 

Unexpected error: Too many bytes in what should have been a 7 bit encoded Int32.
Details:
Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Too many bytes in what should have been a 7 bit encoded Int32. ---> System.FormatException: Too many bytes in what should have been a 7 bit encoded Int32. ---> System.FormatException: Too many bytes in what should have been a 7 bit encoded Int32.
at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read7BitEncodedInt()
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString()
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.DiskPersistentCache.PersistentDictionary.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<ReadBucket>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.FileSystemAccessHelper.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<IgnoringAccessExceptions>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.FileSystemAccessHelper.TryIgnoringAccessExceptions[T](Func`1 func, IEvaluationConstants evaluationConstants, T& result, Exception& accessException)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.FileSystemAccessHelper.IgnoringAccessExceptions(Action action, IEvaluationConstants evaluationConstants)

On occasion the "Container exited unexpectedly" error appears.

Unexpected error: Container exited unexpectedly with code 0x80131623. PID: 24488.

or

Container exited unexpectedly with code 0x80131623. PID: 25908.

Sometimes, simply re-clicking Refresh Preview corrects the issue. Other times, walking through the entire Power Query flow, step-by-step, without changing anything, will get the table to refresh the preview. 

This issue is compounded by the error that for several months has occurred in Power BI Desktop. When I first open a report and click the Refresh button, the following occurs for at least one table in the dataset ("ABC" and "123" have been used below to replace the real query name and step name).

Query 'ABC' (step '123') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

My discovered workaround for this older issue has been to go into Power Query, click Refresh All, wait for all table previews to refresh, click Close and Apply, then return to the Power BI Desktop interface and click Refresh. This has worked for months, but now, the Power Query Refresh All produces all of the errors above, causing hours of working through phantom issues through manual refreshes.

Thank you for any help in resolving this.

[End-of-day update: Windows Programs "Repair" and an uninstall/install cycle have been done without fixing the issue.]

Hi @RandyPgh 

I am so glad to hear that your issue has been fixed . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @RandyPgh 

I cannot reproduce the issue. You may also try the latest version and try again .Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

RandyPgh
Resolver III

I was finally able to resolve this issue by uninstalling the Power BI that came from Microsoft Store, downloading and running the EXE installer, and rebooting. I cannot say if the use of the EXE or the reboot helped, but the issue has been fixed.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @RandyPgh 

I am so glad to hear that your issue has been fixed . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,