Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Error while installing Power BI Desktop May 2023 version

The following error is displayed while installing the Power BI Dasktop May 2023 version. Could you please rectify it?

Pady_0-1686046845829.png

Hi @Pady 

I am so glad to hear that your issue has been fixed . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Pady

Does your error occur during installation or after installation sign in account? Did you uninstall the previous Desktop cleanly? After uninstalling Desktop through Control Pane, download the installation package from the download center and install it again.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

Pady
Helper II

Hello,

The error occurs at thw time of signing in after installation. I uninstalled the earlier version entirely erasing even the left over files and reinstalled the 64-bit exe file first. when it caused the error shown in the screenshot, I unistalled that and tried installing the 32-bit exe file. Even that showed the same error. When that also did not work, I restored the previous April 2023 version .

Hope you can help

Thanks and regards

Karthikeyan_J_O
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I got below error as well few times after Power BI Desktop Version: 2.117.984.0 64bit(May 2023) installation.

Using Windows 10 Enterprise - 19044.2965
Power BI Desktop Version: 2.117.984.0 64bit(May 2023)

Step1: Shift+Right Click on Power BI Desktop shortcut in the Desktop
Step2: Click Run as different user(my XA account)
Step3: Enter User name & Password which is a another account, not belong to current account.
Step4: Now Power BI Desktop- Getdata/Recent sources pop up page will get open
Step5: Close the Pop-Up page, you can see backside one error popup has shown
Step6: You can see backside one error popup has shown

Unable to sign in

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in.
Details: Desktop applications wanting to use the broker need to provide their window handle.
See https://aka.ms/msal-net-wam#parent-window-handle

Microsoft.JPG

Pady
Helper II

I tried the workaround suggested by @MaddieMoo. The solution worked. No more errors.

These are the steps I followed. 

1. Logged into Excel with my Work email address. 

2. Installed the May 2023 version of Power BI(64 bit)

3. After installation, no sign in screen appeared and Power BI desktop was not signed in

4. I signed in using Work/School email address  without any problem.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Pady 

I am so glad to hear that your issue has been fixed . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,