Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Embed Hyperlinks no Longer open in a Active Browser Tab in Desktop Mode

Before last week hyperlinks (whether in Desktop, or Web Service) would open to a new tab in whichever browser was being used (chrome, edge, IE all tested). Now, when a hyperlink is selected in desktop the link will pop open in a new window (does not appear to be associated with any browser, but with Power BI). No Ribbons, or menu bars are present. Is this a bug?

Example of windows below (first image how desktop handles a link in pop up window, second how web service handles link by opening new chrome tab). Prior to last week both would open a new chrome tab. Can this issue be fixed/rolled back?

cmderden79_1-1640020813949.png

cmderden79_2-1640020869570.png

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

According to my research and test, I can normally open the embed hyperlink via the Power BI desktop to the Edge browser

vrobertqmsft_0-1640052006007.png

vrobertqmsft_1-1640052006008.png

Therefore, I suggest you to update to the latest version of the Power BI desktop and check if this problem can disappear.

If you still have a problem, would you like to post a download link of the pbix file with this issue without the sensitive data if it’s possible and we can help you to check if it’s an existing issue in the Power BI?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Thijslo
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Als after updating the desktop app (to 2.100.785.0 64-bit).

igprosk

I have the same issue. Chrome browser is installed by default, but some strange new window opens.
Version: 2.100.785.0 64-bit

Clipboard02.png

cmderden79
Regular Visitor

@v-robertq-msft 

I am on version 2.100.785.0 (December 2021 update). Prior to this update all links in the PBIX file worked as expected by opening a tab in default browser (through desktop and webservice). As others above have mentioned this is not currently working for desktop.

I have changed default browser to Edge, no change...still opens a popup window.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

If you want to get a solution for this kind of embed hyperlink problem based on your specific situation as soon as possilbe, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft to make sure if this can be an existing issue in the Power BI.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

cmderden79
Regular Visitor

@v-robertq-msft @igprosk @Thijslo 

Support ticket fixed the issue. This is a preview feature that needs to be disabled. Upon research they do plan on this to become the permanent view...I would urge that the creation team rethink this idea as having links open in an actual browser is needed for the majority of cases in which they are used.

Below is a screenshot of the help I recieved for the method to disable this feature. File/Options and settings/options/Preview Features.

Disable Power BI Desktop Infrastructure update. 

cmderden79_0-1641923643914.png

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

OK, thanks for your response!

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Thijslo
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!