Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Duplicate measure cannot be deleted

Hi there! I think I found a bug.

When you create a measure in a thin report file that uses a powerBI file as its data model, save it, and then add a measure with the same name to the data model powerBI file and upload, you get a warning saying there is a duplicate measure in your report (correct!), but when you try to delete it, you get an error.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a powerBI file (data model) with some data in it, upload to service
Create another PowerBI file (Thin) and connect to the first powerBI file on the service.
Create a measure in the Thin file, save.
Now create the same measure in the data model file, save and upload.
Open the thin file, you will see an error icon next to the thin file measure saying a measure with the same name already exists.
Now try to click on the hamburger menu icon. An Error is shown.

jaap_olsthoorn_0-1665652925487.png

Hope you can fix it so it becomes easier to delete these duplicate measures!

Jaap

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn ,

I don't quite understand what you mean. It doesn't seem to reproduce your problem successfully
Do you use the same name for the first file and the second file?
What connection mode did you use when you used the second file to connect to the first file?
What is your final requirement? Create two reports that contain the same measure?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn ,

I don't quite understand what you mean. It doesn't seem to reproduce your problem successfully
What connection mode did you use when you used the second file to connect to the first file?
What is your final requirement? Create two reports that contain the same measure?

Best Regards,

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn ,

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Hey Caitlyn!

My requirement: be able to delete measures in thin_reports(reports with no data model of their own, but connecting to a data model in the cloud) that I recreated in my data_model reports. The requirement is not to have duplicate measures, that's the problem I try to solve :).

So the reports have different names, let's call report 1 data_model.pbix and report 2 thin_report.pbix.

data_model uses sql server to get the data, using import mode.

thin_report uses the "powerBI datasets" connector to connect to data_model.pbix in the cloud.

Let's say that at first, I thought My measure new_measure should live in the thin_report.pbix, because I will only use it for this report, and not for others. Later on, it turns out that I need new_measure in multiple reports, so it is better to add it it the data_model.pbix. 

However, when I do, I will have 2 versions of the measure, one in data_model.pbix and one in thin_report.pbix. If I now open thin_report.pbix, I will see the same measure twice, one of which will say "this measure is duplicated". Great! The error message makes sense. However, when I now want to delete the new_measure wit hthe error in the thin_report.pbix, it won't let me, and give me an error instead.

The only way of solving this that I found, is to delete new_measure in the data_model.pbix, upload, then refresh thin_report.pbix so there is only 1 version of new_measure. Then we delete this one as well. Finally, we recreate new_measure in the data_model.pbix only.  Would be a lot better if we could just delete the duplicate new_measure in the Thin_report.pbix, but we get an error instead.

Gadik
Frequent Visitor

I can confirm that we are having similar issue.

CoalesceIsMore
Helper I

Same issue here. Using this version:

Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2022)

When trying to delete the duplicate, there is no message at all. It just doesn't happen. In some cases it does actually work, but it's not consistent. More often than not, it doesn't. Even within the same pbix file, I was able to delete one but not another.

RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same issue and was able to find a resolution.  Power BI desktop was giving me an error if I click on the elipses or right clicked on the measure.  Additionally, it does not show you the formula bar when you click on it, so it seems like the measure is untouchable.  BUT... If you double click on the measure in the Data pane, you can give it a new name.  Once it has a new name, you can edit the measure or delete it without any issues.  I hope this works for you as well.

cperkins_nh

Thanks @RyanBarkley I was having the same problem and the double-click trick worked.  In fact, I didn't even have to delete the duplicate measures from the report, they just disappeared once renamed.

Definitely voted for a real fix to this - would be nice if this were handled a bit more elegantly.  I've got a big project ahead of me to migrate a lot of report-based measures into the main dataset.