Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drill through from matrix not working correctly when row or column is first selected

I have a matrix visual with fields in both the rows and columns.  When I drill through via clicking on a cell, it works fine.  However, if I click the row or column header (i.e. to cross highlight other visuals), then drill through via one of the cells in the highlighted row/column, the drill through filter only honors the row/column level filter, not the cell level filter context.

Hi @DKfromtheBay 

By default, drilling won't filter other visuals in a report. However, the report designer can change this default behavior. As you drill, look to see if the other visuals on the page are cross-filtering or cross-highlighting. Please refer to:Drill down and drill up in a visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

As you described, did you want to filter other visuals when you drill down?

You can create a bridge table for the mutual column, made a relationship with the other two tables and used it in the two tables.   similiar solution

For more details on how to create a bridge table, please refer to the following blog:

Creating Bridge Table - Power BI Training Australia

Best regards,

Community Support Team _Yadong Fang

Comments
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @DKfromtheBay 

By default, drilling won't filter other visuals in a report. However, the report designer can change this default behavior. As you drill, look to see if the other visuals on the page are cross-filtering or cross-highlighting. Please refer to:Drill down and drill up in a visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

As you described, did you want to filter other visuals when you drill down?

You can create a bridge table for the mutual column, made a relationship with the other two tables and used it in the two tables.   similiar solution

For more details on how to create a bridge table, please refer to the following blog:

Creating Bridge Table - Power BI Training Australia

Best regards,

Community Support Team _Yadong Fang

DKfromtheBay
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yadongf-msft 

I was referring specifically to DRILL THROUGH not drill down.

I have a separate drill through page set up in my report, and if you right click -> drill through on a matrix value, it works fine.  However, if you first LEFT click on the matrix on a value or row/column header, this highlights that row/column and cross filters other visuals.  Then, drill through on a cell in the matrix does not pass through the correct drill through filters; it only passes through the filter associated with the row or column that was previously clicked on, but not the corresponding row/column filter for the specific cell in the matrix.

For example, I have a matrix with 5 rows (a, b, c, d ,e) and 5 columns (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).  The total value for column 2 is 50, with the values of 10 in each row.  I want to drill through on cell A2 to see the underlying details for the 10 items in the cell.  This works fine unless I first click on the column header for column 2.  Then if I drill through on cell A2, I see all 50 items, not the 10 in cell A2.