Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Difference in visualisation look between Desktop and published report

Hi there,

Within the last week or so I've noticed a change with the look of visuals in reports that have been published to app.powerbi.com.  The look of the reports no longer match Power BI Desktop.

Browser Used - Chrome (multiple PC's)

Power BI Desktop Version - 2.114.864.0 64-bit (February 2023)

In the image below (which came directly from Power BI Desktop), you can see the following:

• The title on the Tables and KPI visual had a white gap around it between the title background and the border.
  • On the tables there is a white gap between the title and the start of the table
  • There is a few pixel gap between the scroll bar on the right of the table and the border of the table.
  • There is a few pixel gap between the totals background of the table and the border of the table
  • There is a few pixel gap between the left border of the table and the Sum of Column 1 column
  • Column 2 goes to the very edge of the scroll bar.
  • The top red line (shape) is at the very bottom of the table title  and KPI title.
  • The bottom red line is a few pixels below the "Goal: 136 (+0%)" target text on the KPI visual

Power BI Desktop.jpg

Once published to app.powerbi.com, the visuals look different. You can see the following:

• Desktop - The title on the Tables and KPI visual had a white gap around it between the title background and the border.
  • Published - The background of the titles now touches the border.  There is no gap
  •  
  • Desktop - On the tables there is a white gap between the title and the start of the table
  • Published - There is no gap between the title background and the start of the table.
  •  
  • Desktop - There is a few pixel gap between the scroll bar on the right of the table and the border of the table.
  • Published - There is no gap between the scroll bar on the right and the border of the table
  •  
  • Desktop - There is a few pixel gap between the totals background of the table and the border of the table
  • Published - There is no gap totals background at the bottom and the border.  It runs right to the border.
  •  
  • Desktop - There is a few pixel gap between the left border of the table and the Sum of Column 1 column
  • Published - The gap has shrunk dramatically.
  •  
  • Desktop - Column 2 goes to the very edge of the scroll bar.
  • Published - There is now a gap between the end of column 2 and the scroll bar.
  •  
  • Desktop - The top red line (shape) is at the very bottom of the table title  and KPI title.
  • Published - The background of the titles looks to have extended and is now below the red line shape.
  •  
  • Desktop - The bottom red line is a few pixels below the "Goal: 136 (+0%)" target text on the KPI visual
  • Published - The text has shifted down and the red line is now running through the total.
  •  

Power BI Published Report.jpg

I'm not sure where to start to get this back into alignment so that what I see in Power BI Desktop matches what I see once I deploy the reports.  I can't pinpoint the exact date this was changed but I feel like it was within the last week or two.  I haven't seen (though admit I could have missed) any change blog that stated the website had received an update to the look of the visuals that made it differ from Power BI Desktop.  

Thanks.

Hi @mav17 

This issue will be fixed in a future release of Power BI Desktop. There is no clear ETA at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mav17 

I tested with Version: 2.115.663.0 64-bit (March 2023) , it's normally in Desktop . Can you provide your sample(remove sensitive info) to us to test ?

Best Regards,

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft,

When you say it's normal in the desktop?  Which of my screenshots above is "normal"?

The first screenshot is how it looks in the PBI Desktop.  The second is how it looks online once it's been published to app.powerbi.com, they're different - I'm not sure which one is normal?

Regards

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @mav17 

What I mean is that I tested it down fine, not that the problem doesn't exist , so I need your sample to test the problem. 

Best Regards,

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi Ailsa,

I really appreciate your help.  I don't quite understand what you've mentioned above but here's the sample file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiijk7p8t8djry9/Table%20Visual%20Test.pbix?dl=0 

Basically to replicate the issue, you'll have to publish the file to app.powerbi.com and then open the file, and you should see that the visuals look different in Power BI Desktop and app.powerbi.com

Thanks,

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @mav17 

I have submitted your issue to ICM . Engineers need time to confirm this issue. I will come back with an update if there is any progress.

Best Regards,

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

Thanks for that.  I've removed the file from drop box.  If you need it added again please let me know when you need it added.

Thanks

kofsujc
Frequent Visitor

This seems to be an issue with the newest update of Power BI. I noticed with my reports that in the Power BI Service, Title Headers now have larger spacing. It seems to have changed from 0 to 5 (Title--Spacing--Vertical Spacing). This change has negatively impacted our reports. Power BI desktop does not seem to be affected, but once the report is published in the service, the Title Headers are affected. I remember a similar issue a few years back. Please help! 

mav17
Regular Visitor

Yer it definitely feels like a spacing issue,  I don't think it's just vertical though as it's the whole way around the title as well as changes of spacing within the actual table data as well as other visuals.    I quite like the way that the title background goes to the edges of the border, but not having a gap to the table looks a bit silly.  Hopefully the team have enough info and can figure it out. 

Thanks for posting @kofsujc, I'm glad it's not just an issue at my end.  Similarly, quite a few of my reports will need a re-develop if this is the look of the visuals going forward.  I don't want to make that change to the reports until it's confirmed that will be the "new" look.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @mav17 

This issue will be fixed in a future release of Power BI Desktop. There is no clear ETA at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,