Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data labels not showing PBI Desktop 2023

youngja_66_0-1704840966145.png

youngja_66_1-1704840978473.png

PBI standard stacked column chart

Data labels no longer appearing on latest update to PBI desktop, also not working when published to app service.

Have attempted, resize of visuals, responsive on/off, data label sizing etc.

Tried a few 3rd party chart visuals and works.

Any ideas

Hi all,

I'm glad you found workaround and shared it, for those of you who have had similar experiences check out the comments below.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @youngja_66 ,

Please check the screenshot of my test below, I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.

Did you enable the data label options in format setting?

vxiaoyanmsft_3-1704851605680.png

Any more details would be appreciated.

vxiaoyanmsft_1-1704851457741.png

vxiaoyanmsft_2-1704851476798.png

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

Yes, data labels are on.

This has only occurred in this Dec. 2023 PBI.

I have resized both labels and visual, still doesnot work

youngja_66_1-1704854828614.png

youngja_66_0-1704854732871.png

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

Total labels work, but not the individual column labels.  The column labels for each series is turned on. e.g.

youngja_66_0-1704855203183.png

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

I also went back to earlier versions of the dashboard and no labels appearing on these in Dec 23 release

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

If i recreate the graph in Dec 23 version, appears to work.  But any pbix from previous version not working

left side is from previous version .pbix, right side is recreated in the .pbix with Dec 23 version

youngja_66_0-1704858187345.png

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

recreated in Dec 23 version.  Definitely a version issue.

youngja_66_0-1704862504011.png

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @youngja_66 ,

I'd like to understand what your specific problem is, and you can choose one of the following scenario descriptions that meets your needs.

1.When you finish creating visual and enable data label, no label is displayed in Power BI Desktop.
2.When you have created visual and enable data label, if All is selected in Series, then it works fine, if any individual series is selected, it will not display properly.

If your problem is scenario 1, please provide your sample pbix file (please be careful not to include sensitive information), I have tested it in three different versions and it does not reproduce your problem.

Version: 2.123.742.0 64-bit (November 2023)

Version: 2.124.1052.0 64-bit (December 2023)

Version: 2.124.1554.0 64-bit (December 2023)

If your problem is scenario 2, it's by design.This behavior is expected: if the top-level data label toggle is enabled, all series get data labels. If the customer only wants one series to be labeled, they need to subsequently disable the labels for all other series.

Best regards.

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

Running 1554 version Dec 23

The .pbix is from a previous version opened in dec version. 

The graph on the left (brown colors) were created in that earlier version - and when opened in dec 23, no labels show.

The graph on the right is created in the same .pbix bu directly in the dec 23 version and works.

How do I attach a file??

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @youngja_66 ,

If your old report doesn't work properly in the new version, and the features in the new version work properly, I'm afraid you'll need to redesign the report, unless you roll back to the old version.
The new update fixes some of the problems that existed in the past, which has led to changes in the documentation.

Best regards.

youngja_66
Frequent Visitor

That is not a good result!

The entire dashboard (last version was a Nov 23), has been a development over a period of 3 months and has been working perfectly until this Dec 23 update.

The dashboard is simply at the point of public release, so to have to go back and 'redesign' is not an option.  And especially because this is due to a Stacked column chart not displaying labels?

Would be good if the standard visual worked.

Question - what has changed in the update (Dec 23) that is causing the labels not to show.   As the 'warning symbol' indicates make the smallest label (din 8pt), and enlarge the visual to the entire page size, labels dont show!

John