Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dashboard sent via subscription reverts to default theme but shows fine in Power BI server

Dashboard appears to be fine in workspace and in App on Power BI server.  When I create a subscription, the image in the email have reverted to default theme colours and same as the .png attached to the email.  Once you click on "go to dashboard" the themes/colours are fine on the Power BI service, so its something related to just the email.  

Last week the dashboard was showing just fine this week the colours are all wrong in the email subscription.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the same issue as yours.

I can normally open the report with the same style when I entered the dashboard via the link in the subscription email

If you still have a problem, would you like to post a download link of the pbix file with this issue without the sensitive data if it’s possible and we can help you to check if it’s an existing issue in the Power BI?

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the same issue as yours.

I can normally open the report with the same style when I entered the dashboard via the link in the subscription email

If you still have a problem, would you like to post a download link of the pbix file with this issue without the sensitive data if it’s possible and we can help you to check if it’s an existing issue in the Power BI?

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

brentlightsey
Advocate II

I'm seeing this behavior as well. Without changing any code. We receive this subscription every day, and I can say that this behavior changed some time between 12/1/2021 8:46 AM CST and 12/2/2021 8:46 AM CST. Prior to this time, our subscriptions all kept their current theme, or respected the "Keep Current Theme" option that was chosen when the tile was pinned. The color on the left is what we want. Neither the report nor the dashboard has been changed since at least 11/1/21.

power_bi_dashboard_theme_subscription_issue.png

Troubleshoot Test #1

I pinned the visual as a tile in a new dashboard, selecting "keep current theme." I then sent a subscription. Result: the subscription had the default theme applied.

Test #2

I then applied a the theme.json file to the new dashboard. Sent a subscription. Result: default theme used.

Test #3

I pinned the visual as a tile in another new dashboard, selecting "use destination theme". I then uploaded the theme.json file as the dashboard theme. Sent subscription. Result: The dashboard used the applied theme, so I got the colors I wanted.

Given that none of our code or configuration settings changed, I think something changed on the Power BI Service to cause this. Something around overnight on December 1st - December 2nd, 2021. 

These steps should allow you to repro:

1. Create a new sample Power BI file
  2. Apply a custom theme to it (any)
  3. Create a bar chart
  4. Save pbix file locally
  5. Publish to Power BI Service
  6. Pin chart into new dashboard, selecting "keep current theme"
  7. View dashboard in browser, noting (correct behavior) that the original theme is kept
  8. Create new subscription to new dashboard to email yourself. 
  9. The email will not keep your source theme, but will have the default color theme. 
Sudy

Hi,

I have the same issue. 

On 2 Dec 2021 the subscription email still included the colours that you can see in the Dashboard online (red). We did not change anything but since 3 Dec 2021 the Dashboard subscriptions now show a different colour (green).  

brentlightsey
Advocate II

This problem seemed to clear itself up sometime in the 2nd or 3rd week of January 2022.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup the issue stopped occuring sometime in January.  Didnt change anything i guess some changes/updates in back end of power bi service occured?