Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cortana auto fires before Power BI result comes back

When using Cortana voice assistant on first use it tends to fire off a web search for what I said instead of the Power BI command that should come back as the top choice.

Cortana.png

As you can see in the screenshot the two options are provided (when I type them in this shows up, naturally this will not even show up when using the voice assistant cause Cortana defaults to the top choice).  Also after using it a few times Cortana pulls up the report I expect to see.  When first firing this off each day the first hit tends to pull up the web search instead.  My assumption is that there is a slight delay to fire up the Power BI service connection and in the time of that delay of receiving the result from Power BI, Cortana has already choosen the web results option as the top hit and it opens the browser to look for "Utilization". 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @twmarek,

You can see Note section from this article

When a new dataset or Cortana answer card is added to Power BI and enabled for Cortana, it can take up to 30 minutes for results to begin appearing. Logging in and out of Windows 10, or otherwise restarting the Cortana process in Windows 10, will allow new content to appear immediately.

If you enable a dataset for Cortana, and that dataset is part of a content pack or app you own, you will need to re-publish for your colleagues to also be able to use it with Cortana.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

twmarek
MVP

Thank you for your response @v-qiuyu-msft.  I completely understand what you are mentioning here.  I understand any changes may not be reflected immediately.  This is not my issue...

I have not made any changes to my report since last week (I have also not tried to call this via Cortana since then), but it is all configured to use Cortana integration.  I just tried using the Cortana command "show me utilization" and it fired off a web search to bring up "Show me utilization" in Bing.com.  Once it has fired off and I try a second time within a few seconds/minute or so after this first attempt it works perfectly fine, where I see the Cortana tile report I created for this command.

This behavior leads me to beleive that something in the service goes to sleep after a period of it not being used.  If this is using an Azure Function that is being called in the background, this may explain why this is having issues with calls that are not used regularly.  There is a slight delay in Azure Functions after 24 hours of non-use.  So when asking Cortana to go query what is out there, and the Function takes too long to return, it goes with its default response that is to do a web search.  After it has been called once that day, (if this is using Functions) the Function is now awake and returns as the top option for Cortana to utilize hence why it returns the report the proper way as a Cortana tile style report after that first call it did not return properly.