Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Can't access data flows from PowerBI desktop

Hey Community,

I have created a couple of data flows, all refreshed and visiable in PowerBI service, but when I try to connect to them form PowerBI desktop I can only see an empty folder - no data flows or entities showing (please see below).

data flow service.PNGdata flow desktop.PNG

Could you please advise?

Many Thanks,

Wojciech

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Try the latest version of Power BI Desktop and take a look at Considerations and limitations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-chuncz-msft,

Thank you for your message.

I'm on December 2019 release of PowerBI desktop and I'm also an owner of dataflows I'm trying to connect to.

I was thinkink it may be down to a firewall issue or proxy settings I need to use, however I can connect to PowerBI data sets no problem. I will try to talk to a network engineer and update you all if I have a solution.

Thanks for your help so far.

Wojciech

cz8vyv
Advocate I

@Anonymous Check your data types in the dataflow - if you have a 'date', change it to a 'datetime'.

I've seen this problem before when I migrated code from power bi desktop to a dataflow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cz8vyv ,

Thanks for your comment.

I have a couple of dataflows with no dates in it... just strings and numbers. 

It still doesn't show in PowerBI desktop.

Wojciech

cz8vyv
Advocate I

@Anonymous Try formatting all your columns as text at the end of the dataflow and see if then allows you navigate to the entity from power bi desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cz8vyv ,

Thanks again,

I had converted all the columns to text and run a succesful refresh... still no luck.

Wojciech