Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Can't Log in to PowerBI Desktop...No Error, just nothing.

I have rebooted, updated, uninstalled, re-installed and gotten nothing. When I go to close end the task in Task Manager, I get "Something went wrong" and a "Report this issue". I have copied and pasted the details below:

I have been using PowerBI Desktop to publish to the service for over a year without issue. Just went to do an update yesterday and couldn't.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-05-31T13:51:23.5156497Z

Local Time:
2023-05-31T09:51:23.5156497-04:00

Session ID:
5c2acf29-a1f0-47bb-a2aa-6b247070b0ea

Release:
May 2023

Product Version:
2.117.984.0 (23.05) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow+AnalysisServicesCrashedAfterSuccessfulConnectionException
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.OnAnalysisServicesProcessExited(AnalysisServicesProcessExitedEventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.<>c__DisplayClass22_0`2.<PublishAndMarshalExceptions>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.117.984.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow+AnalysisServicesCrashedAfterSuccessfulConnectionException","MethodDef":"OnAnalysisServicesProcessExited","ErrorOffset":"44"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22000.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 528449]

Peak Virtual Memory:
74.2 GB

Private Memory:
579 MB

Peak Working Set:
909 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
96d463f7-163d-42b2-b650-6f21d90a760f

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_enableWebView2
PQ_WebView2Connector
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual
PBI_NlToDax
PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch
PBI_horizontalFusion
PBI_setLabelOnExportPdf

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_b2bExternalDatasetSharing
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_angularRls
PBI_onObject
PBI_dynamicFormatString
PBI_oneDriveSave
PBI_oneDriveShare

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Analysis Services Started Process ID:

Hi  @msg88 ,

We've seen feedback from users in another thread with similar experiences to yours, and my colleagues are investigating this issue in full force. I will give you feedback here if there is any progress.

As a temporary workaround, you can roll back to the previous version first.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
Richardw
Regular Visitor

Same issue, prompted for email address, indicates if the address is incorrect but when correct email entered there is no password prompt and the entire app hangs.

Edge Web View 2 error message displayed sometimes when killing processes.

Same issue on both store and downloaded versions of PBI Desktop.

Reinstall and repairdo not correct the issue

msg88

Same...I get both the error I posted and the Edge Webview2 error, but only the ability to report/copy the log for the above issue. 

Any solutions/workarounds for WebView2 issues in PowerBI do not work for me

Richardw
Regular Visitor

This is an error in the latest version 2.117 May release. 

I reverted to the March version and can login without issue. Previous versions available at https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d... 

msg88

That worked! Hopefully, they fix soon!

Thanks!

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @msg88 ,

We've seen feedback from users in another thread with similar experiences to yours, and my colleagues are investigating this issue in full force. I will give you feedback here if there is any progress.

As a temporary workaround, you can roll back to the previous version first.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

jnw221
Frequent Visitor

Goodness, I tried everything to resolve this issue and was starting to get worried. Scouring PBI trace logs, logs in Azure, Event viewer, security settings, etc. Downgrading to the March version fixed it for me. THANK YOU.

jnw221
Frequent Visitor

I'm no longer able to use the March 2023 version. It keeps automatically updating to June 2023 and the same sign in issue is present. Is there a fix??? It's QUARTER END and not having access to Power BI is a huge disrupter!!!

Richardw
Regular Visitor

@v-xiaoyan-msft this issue persists in v2.119.986.0 published yesterday. Any update on a fix?