Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Button Text wraps in PBI Desktop, but not in PBI Service

The text on buttons in the Power BI Desktop show as wrapping, but does not wrap when viewed on the Power BI Service. I compared the properties of the buttons in both the Desktop and Service, but did not see any differences. Did a recent update change how button text renders in the Service?

20230220 - Button Text Difference.gif 

Hi @tzubenigni 

I tested in my Dekstop and Service , it is normally in Service . What is your Desktop version ?

Ailsamsft_2-1676943896452.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @tzubenigni 

I tested in my Dekstop and Service , it is normally in Service . What is your Desktop version ?

Ailsamsft_2-1676943896452.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

tzubenigni
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft

Thank you for taking a look! The version of PBI Desktop I'm using is: 2.114.664.0 64-bit (February 2023).

It appears to be happening to buttons where the text wraps, but is okay if the text doesn't need to wrap. We had to size the button widths a little narrower, so the text will need to wrap. Would you be able to try making your example buttons narrower so that "info" appears on a second line?

Thank you again!

tzubenigni
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft Also some additional information... The report had been published a few weeks ago to the PBI Service and hasn't been updated since. It was only very recently (just in the last day or so) that we noticed the wrapping had disappeared.

In experimenting, the wrapping comes back if we turn "off" the icon in the button's properties and resize the button to force text wrapping. However, we are using (and would like to continue using) the "Information" and "Reset" icon types. Perhaps something recently changed on the PBI Service that may be rendering the icons differently, or specifically icons used on buttons? Thank you in advance for your help!

tzubenigni
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft Could this be related to the Chrome version we are using? One of our teammates was using Chrome Version 110.0.5481.77 and did not see an issue (the button text was wrapping as expected). My Chrome Version is 110.0.5481.104 and I do see the issue (button text is not wrapping). 

When my teammate relaunched Chrome, it updated to the newest version (.104) and now they are no longer seeing the button text wrap. We are also not seeing the wrapping when using Edge.

Our browsers are managed by our organization, so we cannot downgrade Chrome on our machines. Is this something you might be able to incorporate into your investigation? Thank you for your help and guidance!

fish3101
Advocate I

I have also just noticed this issue start occurring in the last day or so. You can see from my screenshot sometimes wrap works sometimes it doesn't. I don't want to resize the one affected button because then I would have to resize them all to match and I have many pages with this group of buttons. Some pages don't have enough real estate to resize them all so also not an option.

fish3101_0-1677197302336.png

acloutier
Regular Visitor

Same thing happening to our reports but not all buttons... 

acloutier_0-1677269242837.png

GSE
Resolver I
Resolver I

I also have the same issue in Edge and in Chrome (both newest versions)

Bild3.png

My desktop version is Version: 2.114.864.0 64-bit (Februar 2023)

joshmigs
Regular Visitor

i am also having this same problem - any idea if they will fix this or if this is the new norm? dont want to waste time reformatting everything if this will be fixed in a week..

tzubenigni
Regular Visitor

@joshmigs I haven't heard anything recently, we had to reformat buttons on some of our more highly visible reports, but are trying to be patient to see if there may be a fix on the way as we can't re-size buttons on some pages (similar to @fish3101)... 

@v-yetao1-msft - Any updates you can share with us? Thank you in advance for your help!

GSE
Resolver I
Resolver I

The issue was fixed for some users in my org but not all. Can't really tell why. Opened a new topic on this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Button-Text-with-padding-cut-off-for-different-user/m-p/312...