Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Build permission stopped working; cannot publish to workspace anymore

We have users who use Power BI Desktop with a live, "Power BI datasets" connection to DatasetX. And this DatasetX lives in WorkspaceX. These users are not members of WorkspaceX; but they have "Read, reshare, build" permissions on DatasetX. So they can create reports with the live connection, then publish those reports to a different workspace (one where they are members).

That is, until the last 1-2 days! This scenario just stopped working for us!

The users can still use Power BI Desktop with a live connection to that dataset. This still works like always. The issue is: they are no longer able to publish the .pbix reports to a different workspace. If they try to publish from Power BI Desktop, it says:

Couldn't publish to Power BI
An error occurred while attempting to publish '[ReportZ.pbix]':
The remote server returned and error: (400) Bad Request.

If they try to upload the .pbix file in the (other) workspace, by going to +New > Upload a file > Local File, it says:

Can't publish Power BI Desktop file
Looks like that we're unable to access the dataset. Please contact the owner of the dataset. 

But if I add the user to WorkspaceX, where DatasetX resides, then they are able to publish their .pbix "report files" with the live connnection to a different workspace.

Please help! Seems like a significant bug. I believe these users should be able to publish these reports to other workspaces, without needing to be members of WorkspaceX. It always worked, before. Thank you.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@kevhav 

A similar issue has been reported: CRI 221939077, so stay tuned.   

anuarmn
Advocate I

Our company also have the same error.

abhishekkhadiya

Same issue

Ram_Basker
Regular Visitor

Same issue 

Simm3r

I am also now having the same issue. It would be great if this could be resolved ASAP.

Will the status of this ticket be reported back here? CRI 221939077

Any ideas on how long this will take to resolve? A week? A month? Longer?

VilleQvist
Frequent Visitor

Also same issue. This have to be fixed as soon as possible.

dmartensen

I have been experiencing same issue since last Friday as well.  Please advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, known of the issue since yesterday. Error is critical as none of my clients can now publish their reports

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue.

anuarmn
Advocate I

Why there is no info on Power BI support page regarding this issue?