Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in "Hierarchical axis by default"

We have encountered 1 bug in the below feature released in September version.

"This month, we’ve adjusted some behavior to ensure that hierarchy axis is automatically turned on when a user drags multiple fields into the x-axis field well of charts which support the feature. We’ve turned the concatenate labels option off by default in the formatting pane, we will auto-expand charts down to the bottom of your hierarchy when you add fields to the x-axis field well, and we will also sort on category by default once you drill down. Here’s a little table to show you the exact changes in logic:"

Scenario - 

• We have a visual containing X-Axis asMonth and Week with default being set to Month
  • We have multiple calculated measures and we are using field parameter to toggle between different measurements so that chart dynamically displays trending for selected measurement

Issues that we are seeing - 

• Post release of new version when user is switchng the measurement, visual is automatically expanding to lowest hierarchy level. Earlier it was working properly
  • This works properly in Power BI desktop. We are experiencing an issue after publishing the report to Power BI service

@bugs@oksana_k@v-mengzhu-msft , @v-xiaoyan-msft , @v-yetao1-msft , @v-cazheng-msft 

Hi @SanilMaru 

PG is working on fixing this issue. Should be 3 - 4 weeks for the fix to be in production . Please wait patiently .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
SanilMaru
Advocate I

Small addition to the issue. It seems to be issue in Power BI service. It is impacting all our existing report as well which we have not updated and were deployed to Power BI service prior to release of September version

chris_f
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here.
As soon as a user in PBI Service changes a multi-selection field parameter slicer (containing several calculated measures) column charts are expanded all down one level in hierarchy on the x-axis. In PBI Desktop everything is fine but published in PBI Service it does not work properly. We haven't had this problem before the Sept 22 update. As mentioned above this also impacts existing published reports and is an undesired effect for our users.

In addition to this, it seems we have this problem only on column charts. On tables with the same hierarchies as the column charts (Quarter->Month) everything works fine - in PBI Desktop and Service.

simabo
Frequent Visitor

I am not sure if our problem is related to that issue but line-charts now also do not show a continuous x-axis anymore in PowerBI-Services. In PowerBI-Desktop everything works fine. As soon as I add a legend the charts completely break in PowerBI-Online. An example blow:

PowerBI-Online.PNG

PowerBI-Online (as it should not look like)

PowerBI-Desktop.PNG

PowerBI-Desktop (as it should look like)

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Seeing similar in multiple reports, date hierarchy appearing in web service expanded to the bottom level, also dates presented as long decimal numbers?

From the blog: "existing reports should not be affected". Well they clearly are, so massive fail there. Didnt test in the web service? 

Multiple independent users reporting the same really obvious bug within days of the release - how poor is the QA on Power BI lately? And what genius decided to turn a new feature "on by default"? So frustrating ...

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SanilMaru 

Please correct me if I wrong understood your issue .

You put date in X-Axis with hierarchy format , then set the date to month level . You also create a field parameter and put the field in the visual . When you change the field in the slicer of field parameter , the date will drill down to the last level , right ? I provided a screenshot , you can compare it whether it is the same as yours?

Recording 2022-09-20 at 16.00.30.gif

Best Regards,

SanilMaru
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft  - You got it right. We are facing the same issue. It works perfectly fine in Dekstop and issue is in Power BI service

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @SanilMaru 

I have submitted your issue to ICM , the ID is 336190051I'll be back with an update if there's any progress .

Best Regards,

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @SanilMaru 

PG is working on fixing this issue. Should be 3 - 4 weeks for the fix to be in production . Please wait patiently .

Best Regards,

SanilMaru
Advocate I

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

I would like to mentioned that this issue was fixed in the Power BI service but we have started seeing the same issue in Power BI desktop now.

We raised a support ticket for the same and got a reply that it is an expected behavior.

Hundreds of reports are breaking because of this and there is not solution or ETA for the same :(.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Sanil Maru