Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in March 2023 Power BI Desktop Update - new error in calculated column that didn't exist before

We have a simple calculated column that we are using while connected to a power bi dataset that is published to our power bi service via Direct Query. A few of our developers noticed when Power BI Desktop updated to the March 2023 version (Version: 2.115.663.0 64-bit (March 2023)), this calculated column started to throw an error and we're not sure why. This same calculation is working fine in previous versions of Power BI Desktop and we can't find any documentation on what changed that may cause this. Any help would be appreciated!!

nkane_0-1678980289853.png

Hi @nkane ,

The issue is fixed in the latest version 2.115.1006.0 64-bit (March 2023), please update and try again.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
FK3
Advocate I
Advocate I

you might try this formula instead, which doesn't require an IF statement/branching.
Is Before Date = 'tabular AllDate'[DateKey] < TODAY()

nkane

Thanks, I've tried that and get the same error:

nkane_0-1678991270796.png

It seems to be an issue when using Today() or Now(), if I change it to compare to another date column, it doesn't throw a warning.

nkane_1-1678991336666.png

We also confirmed this error doesn't existe when using the Power BI Desktop February 2023 version (or prior). This isn't a new calculated column and only throws an error in the new Power BI Desktop March 2023 version.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @nkane ,

I have reproduced your problem, I will investigate it in following days, if there is any progress I will update here. As a workaroud, you can temporarily use DATE function in the report, it works fine by my test.

vkalyjmsft_0-1679046358991.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team_kalyj

DJJJJ
Frequent Visitor

Got the same errors.

Got using a published dataset in DirectQuery mode.
When making a calculated column using the TODAY() function makes the error.
It worked fine till the march update.

Older then 2 weeks = 
IF(
DATEDIFF(TODAY(), orders[OrderDate], DAY) >14,

"Yes",
"No",
)

Beefheart
Helper I

I also have this error when in Direct Query.

DAX:

DaysSinceOrderPlaced = DATEDIFF('Transaction Lines'[Date], TODAY(), DAY)

TexasZMan
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue with Today().  Today I discovered that FORMAT() also causes the same exception.

DJJJJ
Frequent Visitor

Is there any progress on a bug fix?

Any date function between 2 sources in DirectQuery mode generates the error.
Using a hard date isn't a workable fix, because I have to update it every day.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @nkane ,

The issue is fixed in the latest version 2.115.1006.0 64-bit (March 2023), please update and try again.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

DJJJJ
Frequent Visitor

👍

MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector

I'm running Version: 2.115.663.0 64-bit (March 2023) on our VM, and when I go to update via the "Update available" link in Power BI, it takes me to a February version.