Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Symmetry Shading in Logarithmic Scatter Charts

Original thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Symmetry-Shading-in-Logarithmic-Scatter-Charts/m-p/2248618#...

Symmetry Shading not working as expected for Logarithmic scatter charts

I have a scatter chart which uses logarithmic x- and y-axes, and Symmetry Shading enabled (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-scatter#create-a-scatter-ch... to allow for easy eyeballing of whether a data point favours the x- or y-axis. However, this symmetry shading does not change / update when the axes range changes...

Before:

whtrbbt_0-1640045743190.png

After:

whtrbbt_1-1640045743191.png

The second screenshot shows how the shading has stayed perfectly diagonal across the visual, but should have changed - we would expect that the line would meet the y-axis at the $1000 tick, given that the x-axis minimum is now $1k.

If I use symmetry shading with the exact same data, but with linear x- and y-axes instead of logarithmic, the shading works correctly:

whtrbbt_2-1640045743033.png

Here the shading line meets the y-axis at $40k as expected.

Update from PG team:

If only of the axes is log and other is linear the line will be wrong (because you can't draw a straight line representing symmetry in this case anyways). If both axes are log, it would be possible to draw the correct line but the logic needs to be fixed.

Currently the way the user can get a correct line is:

1. Both axes are linear

2. Both axes are log and the x and y axis have the same start/end

If there is any ETA about this issue, would update continously.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM: 279287081), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progressa about this issue.

Best Regards,

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Update from PG team:

If only of the axes is log and other is linear the line will be wrong (because you can't draw a straight line representing symmetry in this case anyways). If both axes are log, it would be possible to draw the correct line but the logic needs to be fixed.

Currently the way the user can get a correct line is:

1. Both axes are linear

2. Both axes are log and the x and y axis have the same start/end

If there is any ETA about this issue, would update continously.

Best Regards,

shanakajayatila
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl 

Would this bug have an update?

I'm having a similar issue but in my case, it's 2. Both scales are in log and they both have the same start and end 

shanakajayatila_0-1645543609550.png

shanakajayatila_2-1645543740491.pngshanakajayatila_3-1645543755865.png

However, when I push to the premium node, it gives the same error. 

shanakajayatila_1-1645543654723.png

Is there a link to the dev? So that we could see the development being progressed and anticipated timings.. 

Could you also suggest a workaround for such until fixed?

ElizabethTachji
Helper III

Hi,  I have the same problem,  was working but not longer working.  

ElizabethTachji
Helper III

Hi, Symmetry shading works on the service, edit the visual in the workspace and saved the changes as a workaround till desktop is working.