Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BUG: Power BI report online keeps reverting back to an old version

We have a report in the Power BI service that keeps reverting back to its old version. I have deleted the caches, I have republished the report, both over the existing one and after deleting the one in the service. It is just this one report, and just one visual.

Any idea why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Hi @SDittmannFleet 

PBI Service's report does not have a rollback feature. Unless you set up bookmark, which causes you to have a bookmark screen every time you open it . 

If you can be sure that only you can upload and edit this report, then you can delete all related reports and datasets on Service, clear your browser cache, and log out of your account. Re-upload the correct report to the Service.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @SDittmannFleet 

PBI Service's report does not have a rollback feature. Unless you set up bookmark, which causes you to have a bookmark screen every time you open it . 

If you can be sure that only you can upload and edit this report, then you can delete all related reports and datasets on Service, clear your browser cache, and log out of your account. Re-upload the correct report to the Service.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III

I have already reuploaded the report in question twice after deleting it on the service. The bookmarks it has function correctly in Power BI desktop. When I upload the report and click on the link that takes me to it in the resulting pop-up, the report shows up correctly. When I later navigate to the report via the workspace, it is back to its wrong version. It is only this report and some related ones that were cloned from it that do it, none of the other reports have this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similiar issue. I have a report with multiple pages which are updating as scheduled. Only problem is that there are two pages which don't update at all.

When I am downloading the report and updating it in desktop, it works. When uploading the workbook to service, it looks fine for few moments, but when I reload the page, it reverts to state where the two pages have old data.

Don't know really what to do.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III

@v-yetao1-msft & @Anonymous, I gave it another try just now, and knock on wood, so far all 4 reports seem stable and they also seem to show the correct information. Here are the steps I applied:

• In Power BI desktop, I refreshed the data there.
  • I deleted the report from the service. 
  • I deleted the browser cache with a range of "all time", then I signed out of my Power BI account and closed Chrome.
  • In desktop, I published the report again.
  • I signed back into my Power BI account in the service and checked the report.
  • I redid the refresh schedule.

I republished all of them 2 hours ago, and so far, so good. I'll report back if that changes. PS. I still think it's a bug with Power BI service.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III

UPDATE: It did not last. I just checked the reports in question, all of them are back to the wrong version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still having this issue, I am going to open ticket to MS support

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III

We are talking to them today. I uploaded one of the reports in question to another workspace, and it was OK until refresh, then it reverted to the wrong version, like the others.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III

OK, so for what it's worth, here is the solution we worked out w/ MS support. I asked them to report this as a bug, b/c AFAIC what is happening makes no sense.

In our case, there was a column formatted as "General" in Power Query, which became "Text" format in Power BI desktop. All entries were "true/false" w/ some blanks. When uploaded to the service, that column was changed to "Boolean", and all entries became either "0" or "-1". This affected 3 visuals negatively. When the column format was changed and some trickle-down fixing was done, the newly uploaded report proved to be stable in the service.

Hope this may help somebody w/ the same issue at some point.