Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: KPI depends on order of steps taken to build the visual

I noticed this a while ago but never reported it.

When creating a KPI visual, it appears that if you perform the steps in a different order, you get different results. Consider the screen shot below. The KPI on the left was created by first selecting the KPI visual from the pallette, then dragging NET SALES to the Indicator and PERIOD_START_DATE to the Trend axis. To verify that it is displaying correctly, there is a line chart below it that pretty much shows the exact same data shape. And the last data point on the line is the $523,402 as reported on the KPI.


THe KPI on the right, however, was created by the following steps:

  1. Select NET SALES (which created a new Clustered Column Chart to be added to the canvas).
  2. Highlight the visual and make it a KPI
  3. Add PERIOD_START_DATE to the Trend Axis.

In the end, BOTH KPI visuals have NET SALES as the Indicator and PERIOD_START_DATE as the Trend Axis, and nothing in the Target goals, yet the visual shape and number reported are different.


What's more, if you REMOVE NET SALES from the one on the right, then add it back, you get the correct visual.


I see this as a BUG.


Status: Accepted



I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 49974624
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.


Best Regards,

Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted
Solution Sage

I'm just guessing here, but when you create a clustered column chart, Power BI always wants to sort the columns by the Value, with the highest to the left. My guess is that the KPI inherits that sorting assignment instead of taking on the sorting by the Time Series dimension dragged in.




I’ve got response from the Product Team.


The fix should be available next month.


Best Regards,