Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure map - Various issues including: Regional labels missing, truncated menu options etc.

Hello,

Having reviewed the GA Azure map visual with some team members this week, there appear to be a few key issues with it in its current form.

Please therefore review the notes below in advance of the Azure map completely replacing the current/old default Map visual, thank you.

Issue 1: Regional map labels dynamically disabled when bubble layer is above underlying map 'label' layer:
Please note in the screenshot below, that the Azure map (bottom row) is purposely removing the underlying map layer labels - where they 'clash' with the bubble layer - versus how the labels are still consistently present behind the same layer in the original default Map (top row), for example in the Azure map there is no label shown for Utah, Kentucky or Virginia.

Screenshot_1.png

We would request that [in advance of this being made the only option in PBI], there at least be the option to change the settings, in order to mimic/replicate the 'bubble layer' behaviour in the current/old default Map visual, a shown above. Also, adjusting the transparency of the bubble layer has no impact, since the label itself is still missing where this current behaviour occurs, as below:

Screenshot_2.png

But if you capture a screenshot mid-render, you can glimpse the label[s] in place before the Azure map chooses to remove them, as shown here (in effect, this gives a glimpse of the functionality/result we are seeking, with labels for Utah etc. now visible underneath the bubble layer):
Screenshot_3.png

Just to also note, I'm aware in this specific example you 'could' supplant the missing labels with the category labels, but this would not usually be the case, plus only achieves a sub-optimal result at best.

Issue 2: End user/on-map 'Style picker' menu not dynamic/broken if map is 'too short'

I'm a bit surprised to see this is still an issue, but the 'Style picker menu doesn't seem to render properly, and gets broken completely if the map is too short. Examples below:

First, please note the incorrect rending of the 'Style picker' text contents, where the selected menu item is flush/crashing into the border of the menu itself (on the right-hand side, as highlighted by the arrow):
Screenshot_4.png

Second (and more significantly), please note the way in which the menu appears when expanded if the visual is 'too short' (you can see the dimensions of the Azure map on the right-hand pane) for reference:
Screenshot_5.png

In this scenario, it's not possible to see the missing options unless using the visual formatting pane, which is not possible for end users, as shown in PBI service below:
Screenshot_6.pngThere is no scroll bar, nor does the menu react when attempting to scroll using the mouse. And while it 'is' possible to navigate to the hidden menu items via keyboard, you're effectively 'working blind' at that point.

If the map is large/tall enough however, the menu functions when expanded:
Screenshot_7.png

Feature request: Ability to control options given in Style picker (i.e. specify end user options from list)

Whilst the idea of giving end users the ability to easily change the map style is great, not all of the options are meaningful or relevant to every map. We would therefore request the ability to choose which Styles to make available to end users, (for example our preferred options would currently be 'Road' and 'Grayscale [Light]', with the possibility of enabling other styles depending on the map). A checklist type format inside of a drop-down list menu (or something similar) underneath the current Style picker toggle button could work well here.

Hi @D_M 

For the first issue , you can turn on labels in the Format pane .But if it is part of the area is not displayed, then it needs sample for specific analysis .

vyetao1msft_0-1685955972392.png

I tried to restore your second issue on my side, but failed. If possible, I hope you can provide your pbix file for testing. 

As for some of the features you mentioned that are not supported at the moment, you can go to the Ideas forum to give your suggestions. Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @D_M 

For the first issue , you can turn on labels in the Format pane .But if it is part of the area is not displayed, then it needs sample for specific analysis .

vyetao1msft_0-1685955972392.png

I tried to restore your second issue on my side, but failed. If possible, I hope you can provide your pbix file for testing. 

As for some of the features you mentioned that are not supported at the moment, you can go to the Ideas forum to give your suggestions. Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

D_M
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Alisa,

Thanks for that, however the 1st issue is not resolved. In my example, the map labels ARE switched on. The issue is that if the bubble layer is placed above the labels, the Azure map will disable/hide each instance of an underlying map label if it detects a visual conflict between the bubble layer and the label, rather than simply rendering the bubble layer on top of the map layer, as per the current/old default map.

I've tried to render this as simply as I can, please see the example[s] below:

Azure map showing Kentucky label, which is hidden once the map is slightly zoomed out due to it 'conflicting' with the overlaid bubble layer (note the layer/label settings on the right do NOT change)
Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_9.pngAlso, regarding your second query, this is not file or data specific as far as I can tell, and is a purely visual/physical limitation of the Azure map in its current configuration, so it's strange you're not able to replicate it when hovering over the Style picker menu on the visual?

I can try and get a file that's safe to share to you, but to save time in the meanwhile, please check that you've setup the Azure map visual and report page/view as such, this 'should' ensure easy replication of the issue:
Azure map visual height: 336px
Report page/tab zoom: 100%
Map settings > Controls > Style picker: On

Size of Azure map visual shown: 336pxSize of Azure map visual shown: 336pxZoom level (100%) and 'Style picker' option selected, with hover over Style picker menu demonstrating problem (menu is truncated etc.)Zoom level (100%) and 'Style picker' option selected, with hover over Style picker menu demonstrating problem (menu is truncated etc.)