Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure AD Groups that work for RLS and Email Subscriptions?

I need an Azure AD group that can be added to an email subscription and can be added to RLS roles. 

We have several Azure AD security groups but it was just brought to my attention that these do not work when added to an email subscription.

We also have several Microsoft 365 groups but as far as I am aware, I cannot add those to RLS roles. 

The group needs to be in Azure AD (cloud) so we can use a Power App/flow we have created where users request access and after an approvals request, the user is added to the group automatically. This does not seem to work for on premises AD groups, or so I have been told.

So is there a single group type in the cloud that can handle all of the following? 

1) Power BI App access

2) RLS role access

3) email subscriptions 

Hi @rbrocks ,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that RLS does not support the M365 group.
In your case, we suggest you may consider using Mail-enabled security groups.

Mail-enabled security groups are used for granting access to resources such as SharePoint, and emailing notifications to those users.

For more you may refer to Compare groups - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @rbrocks ,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that RLS does not support the M365 group.
In your case, we suggest you may consider using Mail-enabled security groups.

Mail-enabled security groups are used for granting access to resources such as SharePoint, and emailing notifications to those users.

For more you may refer to Compare groups - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

rbrocks
Advocate IV

@v-xiaoyan-msft 

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that these groups are on premises groups that cannot be maintained in the Azure Active Directory Portal nor with our current Power App we have for access requests. I don't understand why Microsoft 365 groups cannot be used on RLS roles. It seems like there is a gap here.