Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Average calculations in Power BI get wrong

I have an issue with the calculation of averages both within a table and a clustered column chart - the calculations are wrong and I don't have the slightest idea how to combat it. 
Problem.pngI have several levels in the table - same as in the chart. On the pic you see part of the numbers, the ones with an icon on the right are the bottom level, the bold ones within the red frame are supposed to show the average, so when I calculate the first 4 numbers I get an average of 2.975, not 3.1, for the bottom 4 numbers my average is also 2.975, not 2.8. Same with the green level, with my numbers it should also be 2.975. 
And my overall average is 3.0 whereas my table and column chart show 2.7. Is that a bug?

Hi @SIH007_1 ,

Sorry I'm not sure how did you get the result, by a measure or simply selecting "Average" of the column, could you please describe more about the process?

vkalyjmsft_0-1677813003659.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Yan Jiang

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @SIH007_1 ,

Sorry I'm not sure how did you get the result, by a measure or simply selecting "Average" of the column, could you please describe more about the process?

vkalyjmsft_0-1677813003659.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Yan Jiang

dsorci
Advocate I

Are you doing averages off a detail or summary table? Sometimes a weighted average is needed if done at a summary level.