Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ambigious path error in Direct Query dataset, but no such path exists

Good afternoon.

In a .pbix file which connects via Direct Query to another dataset, I'm getting the below error when trying to refresh:

aJayMitchell_0-1685114525305.png

I have simplified the model to try and narrow down the issue to the following (which is still receiving the above error):

aJayMitchell_1-1685114606647.png

As you will be able to see, no ambiguous path exists. One would exist if the relationship between DIM - Jobs and 'FACT - NL Budgets' was active, but it is not.

In an attempt to prove that this file should not be showing this error, I have created a new .pbix file with the exact same DirectQuery link to the dataset, and it refreshes completely fine.

aJayMitchell_2-1685114850016.png

Unfortunately I have quite a large and complex report built within the .pbix file which is showing the error, and I really do not want to have to spend time trying to move this over to a new file.

Can you please assist in investigating why this error is occuring?

Hi @aJayMitchell 

Pease correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

You connected to other dataset via DQ connection mode in Desktop , then you refreshed you got an error . It happened in the report you created before . But if you recreate a new report via same dataset and connection mode , you can refresh the data normally , right ? 

If so , what changes did you make in the original report?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @aJayMitchell 

Pease correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

You connected to other dataset via DQ connection mode in Desktop , then you refreshed you got an error . It happened in the report you created before . But if you recreate a new report via same dataset and connection mode , you can refresh the data normally , right ? 

If so , what changes did you make in the original report?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

aJayMitchell
Advocate II

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

What you have stated is correct, however no changes have been made to the original report file - which is why I'm incredibly confused about the error occurring.

aJayMitchell
Advocate II

On clearing the data source credentials from the file and trying to refresh again, the error still shows. This suggests the error is being triggered before the report even attempts to connect to the DQ dataset.