Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alt+Enter behaviour - Alt shortcuts remain active

After pressing Alt+Enter to add a new row when coding a DAX measure, the shortcuts such as 'H' for Home, 'JT' for Table Tools, etc are remaining active. When I press Alt+Enter in other programs such as Excel, it picks up that I was using the Alt key as part of inserting a new line and therefore doesn't show the shortcuts/expects the next keystroke to be a shortcut. Within Power BI, it is waiting for the next keystroke to be a shortcut - and therefore keeps putting me out of my flow with writing DAX as I need to click back into the formula bar so that I can continue typing.

This is incredibly frustrating and needs to be resolved ASAP.

aJayMitchell_0-1686228419716.png

Hi all,

Can you provide us with detailed version information so that we can reproduce this issue?
Once it's acknowledged, we'll get back to the product team as soon as possible to fix it.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

This is happening for me as well. Pretty annoying.. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi all,

Can you provide us with detailed version information so that we can reproduce this issue?
Once it's acknowledged, we'll get back to the product team as soon as possible to fix it.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

aJayMitchell
Advocate II

Session ID:
863e2c22-0d78-46ee-8344-e65dca84879c

Release:
May 2023

Product Version:
2.117.984.0 (23.05) (x64)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22000.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 528449]

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Extremely annoying indeed (I'm being gentle). It makes it very hard to write DAX measures with many variables. And if you're unlucky and accidentally press escape to get rid of the ALT shortcodes in the PBI Desktop menu, like I just did, you end up loosing your full DAX formula, which, in case of lengthy and more complex formulas is extremely frustrating.

The behaviour is that when releasing the ALT button (after having pressed this together with the return button to enter a new whiteline), it will also engage the menu item shortcuts, which means that the next character you type, doesn't type in the formulabar anymore, but instead interacts with the menu. So basically it throws you out of the formula bar all the time when writing DAX code.

This is just as frustrating as the Intellisense functionality deleting functions when adding something in front of an existing function, or changing simple keywords like "in" or "then" to completely irrelevant functions in M query, which is also very annoying.

It would be very nice (I'd say essential) to have this fixed.

lasersharks
Kudo Collector

Also reported here: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Alt-Key-Shortcuts-Causing-Problems/idc-p/3259414#M9...

Alt + Tab (to switch applications between PBI and something else) is also borked.

Nikolas_Pavlov

This bug started from May update.

Very annoying and impossible to work in formula bar.

Please fix ASAP.

Rolled back to April update for now.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

@v-xiaoyan-msft Please escalate/acknowledge this issue. It is also appearing in the June release.

lasersharks
Kudo Collector

Just been informed a fix is coming in July.

prof_hoo
Frequent Visitor

Same for me:

Version: 2.118.621.0 64-bit (June 2023)

mistericulus
Regular Visitor

Super annoying:

Continues to happen in 2.117.984.0 64 bit (May 2023)