Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Views from SQL Endpoint/DW not showing up when creating a new dataset in Fabric

I am testing out Fabric in the preview/trial version. 

Here's what I did:-

1. Created a Lakehouse. 

2. Imported some Salesforce data using a Dataflow Gen2 with destination as Lakehouse. 

3. Opened up the SQL endpoint and I see the table I imported

4. Created a view using the data from the table

5. Created a new dataset and tried to import the view. However, the view does not show up in the list. 

Is there any reason why it wouldn't show up or is it just a bug?

vickyd_0-1685139140625.png

6 REPLIES 6
Uniserve_aje
Frequent Visitor

I have the same experiance too. I do have an open ticket on this, so i have shared this thread into my ticket. If i hear anything before you guys, I will share back here. 

Skoltn
Frequent Visitor

I came across exactly the same! In a DWH I cannot use views in a dataset whatsoever.

In LakeHouse, I can use views in the default dataset, but I cannot use the same views in a 'New Power BI dataset'

Looking forward to a solution.

germo
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

some related questions:

We can create views in the DWH, but we can't do so much with them, especially we can't use them in Notebooks.

Then my idea was to create required views directly in the lakehouse, using notebooks. This is how we do on "normal" databricks / lakehouse projects.

But views are not created in the Fabric Lakehouse. The Spark SQL is fine and don't causes issues. Is it a bug?
In "normal" Databricks notebooks on a "normal" databricks instance this works fine.

How to work with fabric?
- we can't create views in the lakehouse

- we must create views in the DWH, but we can't access them in the lakehouse. My vision of "OneLake" is a bit different.

- we can't create tables in the DWH, but only in the lakehouse

As a BI developer I would like to be able to work in one logical environment:
- if I can create tables only in the lakehouse, I should also be able to create views in the lakehouse.

- if I must create views in the DWH (and I like, that I can use TSQL instead of Spark SQL to create them!), it would be very useful, to get access to these views also in the lakehouse and in all other OneLake-consumers.

- it would be useful, if we could create tables also in the DWH. This would meet my understanding of OneLake. This way I could work in a usual way: Using SSMS (or Azure Data Studio), having all the code and logic in one place

I hope Version Control is on the roadmap, not only for Power BI reports. I would never develop something to be used in production which is not under version control.

Why we can't get the "normal" Databricks GUI on top of the lakehouse? It has git integration for notebooks, built in formatting for notebooks (buggy when formatting comments, but these bugs will be solved, I hope)

And I agree, a structured place to report issues would be very fine. A community forum is not the best way to report issues.

HimanshuS-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vickyd  @parry2k 

Thanks for reporting this issues . Let me go back to the internal team and get more insight to this issue .

Thanks
Himanshu 

Thanks @HimanshuS-msft  . Is this is the right way to report any issues or is there another mechanism? I've encountered a bunch of issues while testing out the preview so want to make sure I'm following the right process to report them. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vickyd Yes I also came across the same issue, seems like it is a bug. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.