Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

suidino2
Frequent Visitor

SQL endpoint connection

I encounter a problem.

The scenario is as following:

1. Create a Lakehouse

2. Saved several Excel files in File of the created Lakehouse

3. Use Dataflow Gen 2 to load data in those Excel files from 2 load it into Lakehouse Table.

4. Once the table created from 3, we can see table in the Lakehouse SQL endpoint

5. Open PBI desktop and load data from Lakehouse SQL endpoint 

Then I encountered following error:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hey!

What connector are you using when doing this connection test against the Lakehouse?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hey!

What connector are you using when doing this connection test against the Lakehouse?

Hello, I was using the Datalake connector.

I havent tried it yet, but I think @jwelch has the point. The message is kind of same when I tried to connect to Databricks/ Synapse in the past when corporate firewall unmodified. 

I am not sure how relevant is it sill, but considering that Lakehouse SQL end-point and Dataverse should work the same, I used the steps described as an approach for TDS endpoint in Dataverse article and it worked for me:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/developer/data-platform/dataverse-sql-query#blocked-por...

jwelch
Employee
Employee

This is likely a firewall restriction on your computer or network. The connection is being made directly from your machine running PBI Desktop to the SQL endpoint in Microsoft Fabric, and may be blocked by your network admins.

You can check this by using SSMS or Azure Data Studio to attempt to connect to the LH endpoint - if it fails, then you would need to talk to your network admins about opening up the firewall for the endpoint. You can get the connection string by selecting "More options" on the SQL endpoint listing in the workspace, and then "Copy SQL connection string".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.